No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: English Drinking Glasses?  (Read 2904 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
English Drinking Glasses?
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Happy New Year everyone. I had the luck of being given some glasses recently, that someone in my family had collected. I am really pleased to look after them, as it demonstrates that I am not the first glass collector in my family! I have a few more coming my way, including some "penny licks." Can someone please recommend a reliable book on this subject please? Partly from browsing GMB and reading contributions from Paul S, I understand they are possibly English drinking glasses (for drinking any liquid) of about 1820? This is not my normal collecting area and I would happily be corrected. Although of no great monetary value, I am pleased to look after such historically interesting items, especially with some sentimental attachment too. One base is pictured. Cheers!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: English Drinking Glasses?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Hi, the glasses pictured are generically known as rummers, as rum based drinks (punch, toddy, grog) were thought to have been the major purpose for their use.  I can't quite see from the base of the glass whether it has a gadget mark on it or not but the U-shaped bowls of two of your glasses are indicative of mid to late 19th century rummers.  Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
This is the first time I've heard the term Rummer explained as something to do with rum. Rummer is a glass term from German - the language which produced most glass terms, where a Roemer is a stemmed goblet in the Roman style for wine.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
Hi ,
          Sorry !!!!!   but !!!!   Rummer has nothing to do with the drink Rum , it is derived from the Dutch/German word " Roemer " see  Tim Mills book Rummers for a fuller explanation.
Cheers ,
           Peter.

oooops  you beat me to it Ivo.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
I think your glasses look as if they would be lovely things to use, Robert.

*Something* about them makes my hands itch to feel them, see how they balance, fondle them, see how well they fit my hand...
 :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
I'm sure that Neil isn't contesting the derivation of the English word rummer as NOT having originated from the German roemer  -  and if you read his post again you will see that he has said only that  ......   "the glasses pictured are generically known as rummers, as rum based drinks (punch, toddy, grog) were thought to have been the major purpose for their use."                     There's nothing wrong, historically, with what he has said, certainly as far as usage of this shaped glass goes in the U.K.  -  in fact a variety of spirit based drinks are known to have been drunk from what the British called a rummer.
Ivo and Peter are both correct, of course, regarding the fact that the British word rummer - to quote Tim Mills - "is an anglicized form or corruption of the Dutch word roemer."  -  a glass totally unlike those above, and which were used for blonde wines.

If you read Douglas Ash, G. Bernard Hughes and Geoffrey Wills - they all comment that rum was one of the drinks consumed from glasses of the shape shown above, and this was the extent of Neil's assertion.

Having looked again at Hogarth's 'Night' engraving, showing the inn sign of what is a British rummer shaped glass, my own opinion is that it's not possible to be certain whether this is a drinking rummer or toddy rummer  -  since within the area of the sign there is nothing with which to make a size comparison  -  one being a lot larger than the other.           It's known that the toddy rummer (associated with the toddy lifter or ladle) was a commonplace item, and this drink was consumed from the smaller drinking rummer, so the depiction might be of either.               
I'm also doubtful that we can say the contents of this particular glass on the inn sign are beer.........   the slightly paler top section of the glass may simply be the more transparent part of the glass devoid of the booze  -  throthy heads (carbonated) on beer are probabaly more a product of the C20 than c. 1738.
Rummers with crazed bottoms (showing where the sugar crusher was used) are seen occasionally, showing that hot toddies were fairly common, although a variety of beverages were consumed from this shape of glass.
Pubs/inns with the name 'Rummer' were, apparently, not uncommon in London, Bristol and Liverpool.

Isn't it a shame Sue, that you can only dream of fondling them - but I agee that they are a type of glass of great social comment and come from that most interesting of centuries when the British, depending on your point of view, were blessed with Hanoverian monarchs.

And..............as to Robert's comments about penny licks  -  as you can probably imagine there appears not to be a book devoted these little pieces  -  very brief mention is made in Hajdamach's book, but don't think you'll find much else apart from that.            If you do please let me know - presume you've seen my pix of some which I posted earlier this year I believe.

Regarding Neil's comments about not seeing the gadget mark............I doubt that you will........as Peter has now put us right on this matter, it has nothing to do with the Y or T shaped indentations on the underside of the foot (that is where the shears separate the pontil rod gob)  -  I've tried looking for gadget marks (which will be on the top of the foot anyway), and have so far failed to see any  -  but if you do find one and can photograph it, please post immediately.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
aaah, but Peter let me fondle LOADS of his top pieces last November... even the utterly glorious stippled "cherubs" glass...

(my hands are getting itchy again... I have to go and fondle somthing of serious quality to satisfy my need, right now. :P)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
HI ,
           quote "If you read Douglas Ash, G. Bernard Hughes and Geoffrey Wills - they all comment that rum was one of the drinks consumed from glasses of the shape shown above, and this was the extent of Neil's assertion."  note , one of the drinks,

Quote from Neil " as rum based drinks (punch, toddy, grog) were thought to have been the MAJOR purpose for their use."

Above is were my problem lies , the "major purpose " yes in the 19th century they may well have been used for Rum , but were is the contemporary evidence, the sailors lined up at the dock in paintings , the documents from glass sellers advertising Rum glasses,yes the name is derived from a glass that was thought to have been used for white wines but they were recognized as having a large capacity bowl more than anything else , Ravenscroft made his English version of Roemers in the 17th,by the 19th c glasses of this type I am sure were used for just about anything , beer ale wine etc etc , far to many glasses have been attributed to specific drinks with very little evidence, books are great things but we have to remember that most of them are all pretty ancient and so is a lot of the information they contain,1 guy writes 50 years ago that rummers were for Rum and the others copied this and on it goes,

end of rant ,
   cheers ,

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
Thank you all for the informed comments! I am sure many other GMB visitors will find these of interest. I will try and source the volume on Rummers by Mills, which seems at the very least, a decent introduction tot he subject area. It appears difficult to ascribe exact dates and precise uses for such useful and popular items over such a long time. Any liquid may have been involved inside a home or public house it seems. Certainly, when reading the diaries of Pepys, when in a drinking house in the mid to late seventeenth century, he seems repeatedly more concerned with describing the main vessel containing liquid, i.e. a "quart of wormwood wine was brought to the table." The glasses used after that seem of lesser (no) interest, once the main subject had been described. This may be typical of the time in a Public House, once the main quantity and quality of drink for a group had been acquired, the shape type of actual drinking cup was of less significance, much as it is today.

Perhaps the shapes were more regional, based on regional glassmaking families, making glasses in local traditions, rather than rum, wine, water, beer, etc. having more bearing on the shape of glasses, than any other factor? I will read Mills with interest. I am impressed also that these seem English or British, as distinct from Continental contemporary examples. I will be interested to learn of their contemporary equivalents in Holland or France, to learn why these fairly rudimentary English examples would differ in appearance... A very interesting area of British glass collecting and study. Thanks again all, for providing some enlightening comment, highlighting some areas worthy of discussion...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
the most important question is;

Are you going to use them?

I think it would be utterly crimminal, not to. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk