No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1930's Lead Crystal vase?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
1930's Lead Crystal vase?
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:52 AM »
Hi everyone. I have a fairly large 25cm+ tall lead crystal vase I am having trouble attributing. It may be Czech or German. It is likely 1950's production of possibly an earlier piece. It looks really familiar. The pontil rod mark is very similar-identical to the Podebrady concave polished ellipse shaped mark as seen on Zahour pieces. I am thinking 1930's Bohemia Crystal, Podebrady... If anyone recognises this piece, please let me know!! The glass is of great quality and the cutting feels soft, perhaps acid softened, or could a mould have been used? I do have a Bohemia Crystal piece that is moulded lead, from probably the 70's but this does not have a pontil rod mark.....I have never seen a moulded piece of glass with a pontil rod mark, so I describe this as a cut crystal vase. It feels an annoyingly familiar design but my books do not have it. If anyone out there is familiar with this design, please comment!

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 1930's Lead Crystal vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
I'd agree with the Czech/German suggestion, or at least from that direction.                The wavy up/down rim profile is very similar to a quite common pressed vase from the Rudolfova glassworks (Vaclav Hanus was the designer)  -  have a look in Mark Hill's book 'Hi Sklo Lo Sklo' page 76  -  I'm not suggesting a connection, but simply the similarity.
As to whether cut or moulded - if you use a lens and look within the mitres you should be able to find some signs of grinding/polishing marks - rarely are they removed completely.
Is it possible to see a picture of the underside of the foot?             As to age  -  wear on the foot might help to indicate something, but again I'd agree with your thoughts of post 1950. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: 1930's Lead Crystal vase?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:23 AM »
Thank you mods, for the thread location rescue. Also, thank you Paul. I doubt it is pressed (solely). I am sure it has been partly cut and blown. A mould can be just a small part of the process, as well as being blown and cut, as I know you know. I would be amazed if this was a fully automated pressed vase! Being lead crystal and having seemingly acid softened cuts etc... But glass is full of surprises. I found a newish similar cut vas eon ebay this week and that came from a glassworks called Jihlave, which I am researching. Still going and producing modern lead cut though it also started in the mid 19thC. There was a foil backed faded label remnant on this vase before it arrived to me. I attach pictures of the base which is remnescent of Podebrady finished vases I have seen and I suspect Jihlave may share a tradition of finishes with Bohemia Glass, Podebrady in this regard.... I am going to email Jihlave and see...

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand