No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Carnaby Bulge Colour Variation Black & White Cased  (Read 3685 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

i was lucky enough to find this Holmegaard Carnaby vase, upon my research i cannot find a reference to this colour combination of this vase.

i do know that they did do one offs and some variations for factory visits.

it is also signed with "2" which may be a size indicator or have another meaning?

the vase measures approx 15.5 cms tall.

if anyone knows anything about this vase i would love to know,

thanks in advance
kind regards steven

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Carnaby Bulge Colour Variation Black & White Cased
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
I know there are also some cased 'Gulvvase' in black and opal that aren't catalogued, so presumably it's a one-off or short-run piece - perhaps sold through the factory, perhaps as a special order. They did do a short-lived black/opal version of the 'Palet' kitchenware series in the early 1970s called 'Sort Palet' (Black Palet), so it could have been made around the same time.

An engraved '2' on a Holmegaard piece generally indicates a production second, with some kind of flaw (very often so minor as to be invisible).

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »
Hello thank you for the fast reply,

i think the flaw may be the tiniest of airbubbles on the white casing.

and thank you for the other information, do you know if these one offs hold hold much extra value than the usuall ones?

regards steven

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
I imagine it will be quite desirable amongst collectors. It's a rare variant from a well-published series.

Offline Breddal

• Members
    • Danish & Holmegaard Glass
    • Denmark
Holmegaard Carnaby Bulge Colour Variation Black & White Cased
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
Hi,
Your Carnaby vase is an amazing good find and it is a color sample that did not come for sale to the public. I have several other examples of other such color samples. Your Carnaby model I have in a purple version and just found the high three-part model in green. Knows of a another design example in black.
The "no. 2" figure at the bottom, means second sorting and it was the way that employees could get the vase cheap and probably the way it came out of the glassworks in Odense. Normally, 2 figure only was put in too sorted glass with small errors which were sold from the glassworks tourist shop.

Regards and congratulations from Denmark. :o)

Steen Breddal

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »
thank you so much for the useful information, sorry about the late reply i have not been on here for a while.

kind regards steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand