No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WEBB ?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
WEBB ?
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
Hi all, i've been confident about a piece being Webb and been wrong before so i've put this one here, it's got alot of furry wear on the base that doesn't show up very well on the photo and a large polished pontil,it's 9cm ht and 18cm wd and i should mention it's quite heavy for it's size,any ideas many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: WEBB ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
with unmarked examples, not always easy to tell the difference between, for example, Webb and Richardson  -  although I have this personal view that with the latter this shade appears a more rich colour.

Try this link, it might be of interest..........
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46385.msg260537.html#msg260537

In view of Webb's ownership of Richardson in the early 1930's (hope I have that right), plus the fact that both names appeared to work virtually under the same roof, then separating the two productions is perhaps not easy. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
The Webbs vase on the left is marked, the assumed Richardson vase on the right is unmarked.

There is more pronounced blue tone to the purple in the vase on the right than in the Webbs vase (as Paul said more purple, less amethyst).

Bat's looks more amethyst than purple...

John

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
Thanks chaps ,it has exactly the same texture as the one on the right, i'm taking it both firms did the same.Can i ask what date it may be,it doesn't feel or look 30's to me more sort of art nouveau.Just an add on,the colour in the photo has a red hint to my eyes and this is not the case in real life.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »
my example of the deeper purple vase  -  shown in the link I attached  -  is marked with the Union flag, so there's no doubt as to its origin, and according to Hajdamach pieces like these date to the 1930's.              The decoration aside, this 'conical' shape does appear to have been a popular shape during the art deco period - roughly early 1920's to the late 1940's  -  whereas Art Nouveau - c. 1880 to the end of the 14/18 war -  is usually more sinuous in shape, and mostly lacks angular design.

The extent of T/Webb's design/colour range seems colossal in comparison with those from Richardson, although this dip-moulded/lensed effect does appear to have been common to both factories, as shown in this marked example from T/Webb (yet another conical shape), which also happens to fluoresce.   
Did Richardson produce any glass which included uranium?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
I think it's a completely different colour to Paul's and John's Richardson purple vases.  I've seen a marked Richardson's purple but don't have one, but remember thinking it was a truly glorious rich royal colour - I regretted leaving it behind and posted a thread on it on here  ;D

Your vase looks amethyst to me by comparison, so unless in real life it is the same royal purple as the two on the thread, and it's the camera that's distorting the colour on yours, I would call it amethyst. 
Did Richardson's make an amethyst in these ranges as well as the purple?
And did they twist their molds?  The one I recall seeing was I believe like John and Paul's, no twist.
m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
Thanks m,this is closer to it,but maybe a little less colour intensity.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Infact i think the best way to describe it would be between the two  ::)it's a Ribb lol.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »
I think it is easier to chase your own tail than compare colours via photographs. ;D

Different cameras and lighting will introduce all sorts of variation, your vase looks like it could be made by Webb. Finding another example that is marked and has the same shape and size would clinch it.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
Ok thanks m,it would be nice to get an id right for a change :)i'll keep my eyes open for another signed and dated example,thanks again for all the help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand