No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian type vase with initial 'V' (Need help identifying)  (Read 504 times)

Offline Steve-76

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • scandanavian
    • Wales U.K.
Scandinavian type vase with initial 'V' (Need help identifying)
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi, I recently acquired this lovely vase and have been trying to id it. I found some info regarding Eva Englund who apparently signed with a single initial of 'V' for Orrefors in the pre 1980s period but I am unsure whether this piece is definitely by her and for Orrefors.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

(woops, just realised no id requests here. Can a mod please move me?)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Scandinavian type vase with initial 'V' (Need help identifying)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
First off Steve, welcome to the board.  If you are or become a keen 'glassie' you will find it to be a wonderful resource.

That is not a signature it is a fault in the mold where probably a small amount of air has been trapped.  I suspect your vase comes from one of the very low production cost makers - Poland, Romania, China, etc.  The design is very Scandinavian - Similar to many SEA glass items.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Steve-76

• Members
    • scandanavian
    • Wales U.K.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
Hi Ross,
Thanks for the welcome and the reply :) and yes, I have always liked interesting glass pieces and would like to know more about them for sure! I'm starting to collect for myself and to sell on also.

Such a shame this seems to not be an original Orrefors. I will say though, on inspecting the 'V' shape more, it certainly does seem that someone has engraved it in. The groove has been depressed with a sharp instrument and it has a nice curvature to it with a fine centre point where each side joins up. I guess it is difficult to see it on the photos. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has seen such a piece with what seems to be a large 'V' engraved in the base? I'm thinking of selling it on Ebay and would like to know the maker and value if possible..

Regards and thanks for the help
Steve

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
Ross was spot on of course. This is not a signature but the result of sloppy production. Possibly it has been set on a shard when it went into the lehr.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Steve-76

• Members
    • scandanavian
    • Wales U.K.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ivo :) much appreciated..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand