No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Open-footed Vase No. 11600  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Jobling Open-footed Vase No. 11600
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
See http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-19751   Click main image to enlarge.

For the first time I've been fortunate to have both editions in stock, so I thought GMB members and visitors would welcome a comparison.

One size - 11".   Rd. No. 796181 of 6 September 1934.   We don't know the designer, but it is possible that Etienne Franckhauser produced the plaster model for the mould.

On the left is the first edition, up to the 1936 catalogue, in Flint, and weighs 877g.   On the right is the second edition, from the 1937 catalogue, in Pink, satin finish, and weighs 956g.

You can see the reason for the addition of the foot.   The first edition was very top heavy and easy to knock over.   I nearly did it myself when unpacking it to photograph and weigh it.   The addition of the foot made it considerably more stable, and, of course, an increase in weight of about 9%, all at the foot, lowered the centre of gravity as well.

It seems highly likely that Jobling were forced to take remedial action to counter any complaints and a lack of repeat orders, together with the competition, the much more stable and not dissimilar "Dora"** vase from Sowerby, launched c.1936, apparently selling well.

Note that the modification did not affect the legs, as the registration number is absolutely identical.

I hope that's of interest.

Bernard C.  8)

** see Dodsworth, BGbtW item 167, pictured on p.44.   Dodsworth does not divulge the Sowerby pattern number.    Does anyone know it?
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand