Author Topic: Orrefors  (Read 473 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Kingdom of Belgium
Orrefors
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
Two pieces that i can't get enough of and still enjoy seeing everyday.

One chalice 'Six Graces', signed and numbered, Orrefors Gate 154-111 E5 A.S.
The original from the 20ies i guess, we're all too familiar with, this one is re-edited in 1975, engraved by Anders Svensson (Orrefors 1939-1981).

The footed bowl is signed and numbered as well, but half of it is not there anymore.... the signature and numbers that is, the foot's intact  :D.
Besides Orrefors Gate there's a nr 155 and a little further an 'E' as well, suggesting that this is a 70ies edition too.

I have contacted Orrefors, and besides confirming that this was model 155, there was not a lot they could tell me. The numbers after the model number (on the chalice 111), i was told, is the number of the size....

Anybody who can tell me a little bit more on the second piece?

Thanks in advance,

Anne.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Orrefors
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »
WOW Nice !!!!!

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Stunning.  Both of them. I love Orrefors. In all it's forms!!
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
Well thank you both for your nice reactions! I'm still so pleased with them and there isn't a single scrach on either of them.

Re-reading myself, i realise that i posted the pics in the wrong order, i meant to ask  info on the footed bowl, the 'Six Graces' can easily be found on the net.

On the bowl i only managed to find just the one result, a smokey version, and can't find it anymore. Here in Europe you get different results on any search engine than for instance in the States, so i hoped anybody could tell me a little more, whether this is a re-edition too or a totally new model and never made before the 70ies....

Thanks again for any effort made, much appreciated....

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
wet the signature it will be easier for you to read, I doubt that a part of the signature is missing.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Thank you Daniel,

I tried and you're right, the initials show HW, he seemed to have difficulties while he signed i think, because the 'H' is done more or less twice with scrolls/loops, one on top of the other and the 'W' is so small it is hard to recognize, but then...my eyesight's not what it used to be....still, from what i think is the 'E', the top part is missing and it only says 'refors' just before 'Gate'. The cristal really is smooth there. The two horizontal lines of the nrs 5 are gone too, but thanks to Orrefors themselves, i can put modelnr 155 on this bowl.

So am i right in saying this done by a gentleman called Heinrich Wollmann?

Thank you again for your tip...

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
HW Hugo Williamsson, if you read that right. It looks like he worked for Orrefors during two periods 1928-1944 and 1973-76.

Six Graces and some other pices were produced in the 70's and also the 80's, Not sure about the bowl, can't recall seing it as a later piece.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
Thank you for identifying the engraver Daniel, i was looking at the wrong list  ::)

Of course i'd love it to be from the earlier period, but i think it looks too fresh for that, plus the letter 'E', or whatever's left of it rather, makes me think it to be from the second period you mentioned....not that i would doubt your experience and knowledge, very admirable, but i have the bowl here in hand, so to speak....

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated!

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
Syrry I mixed the pics and writing.

If the bowl has an E it must be followed by either 3-4-5 or 6. Consider when HW worked there. So with this information it's safe to say that it's a 70's piece.

To be honest there is no huge difference in price.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
You think so? Now that is really a surprize that makes my day!

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com