No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Orrefors
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
Two pieces that i can't get enough of and still enjoy seeing everyday.

One chalice 'Six Graces', signed and numbered, Orrefors Gate 154-111 E5 A.S.
The original from the 20ies i guess, we're all too familiar with, this one is re-edited in 1975, engraved by Anders Svensson (Orrefors 1939-1981).

The footed bowl is signed and numbered as well, but half of it is not there anymore.... the signature and numbers that is, the foot's intact  :D.
Besides Orrefors Gate there's a nr 155 and a little further an 'E' as well, suggesting that this is a 70ies edition too.

I have contacted Orrefors, and besides confirming that this was model 155, there was not a lot they could tell me. The numbers after the model number (on the chalice 111), i was told, is the number of the size....

Anybody who can tell me a little bit more on the second piece?

Thanks in advance,

Anne.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Orrefors
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »
WOW Nice !!!!!

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Stunning.  Both of them. I love Orrefors. In all it's forms!!
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
Well thank you both for your nice reactions! I'm still so pleased with them and there isn't a single scrach on either of them.

Re-reading myself, i realise that i posted the pics in the wrong order, i meant to ask  info on the footed bowl, the 'Six Graces' can easily be found on the net.

On the bowl i only managed to find just the one result, a smokey version, and can't find it anymore. Here in Europe you get different results on any search engine than for instance in the States, so i hoped anybody could tell me a little more, whether this is a re-edition too or a totally new model and never made before the 70ies....

Thanks again for any effort made, much appreciated....

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
wet the signature it will be easier for you to read, I doubt that a part of the signature is missing.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Thank you Daniel,

I tried and you're right, the initials show HW, he seemed to have difficulties while he signed i think, because the 'H' is done more or less twice with scrolls/loops, one on top of the other and the 'W' is so small it is hard to recognize, but then...my eyesight's not what it used to be....still, from what i think is the 'E', the top part is missing and it only says 'refors' just before 'Gate'. The cristal really is smooth there. The two horizontal lines of the nrs 5 are gone too, but thanks to Orrefors themselves, i can put modelnr 155 on this bowl.

So am i right in saying this done by a gentleman called Heinrich Wollmann?

Thank you again for your tip...

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
HW Hugo Williamsson, if you read that right. It looks like he worked for Orrefors during two periods 1928-1944 and 1973-76.

Six Graces and some other pices were produced in the 70's and also the 80's, Not sure about the bowl, can't recall seing it as a later piece.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
Thank you for identifying the engraver Daniel, i was looking at the wrong list  ::)

Of course i'd love it to be from the earlier period, but i think it looks too fresh for that, plus the letter 'E', or whatever's left of it rather, makes me think it to be from the second period you mentioned....not that i would doubt your experience and knowledge, very admirable, but i have the bowl here in hand, so to speak....

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated!

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
Syrry I mixed the pics and writing.

If the bowl has an E it must be followed by either 3-4-5 or 6. Consider when HW worked there. So with this information it's safe to say that it's a 70's piece.

To be honest there is no huge difference in price.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
You think so? Now that is really a surprize that makes my day!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand