No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Vaseline - Not an Audrey - but where & when ma  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Victorian Vaseline - Not an Audrey - but where & when ma
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »
I call this little find 'Not an Audrey', because it hasn't got 'thorns' or 'tree-root feet'.  However, she is a bit Audrey-like  :roll:  and I wonder where and when she was made?  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1857
The bowl appears to be uranium (or some other UV reactive  :twisted: ) glass, while the stem and foot is not.  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1855  

Does the stemware-style foot and knop indicate a later date than the 'root' feet?  I was sold this with a label saying c1910, wheras I tend to think of my other 'Audreys' and 'Triffids' as being c1880.  Or am I expecting too much precision in dating these types of glass?  :oops:  :roll:

Also, I admit I always tended to think Stourbridge, but since people have said this sort of glass object was also made in 'Bohemia'  :twisted:  :roll:  I just don't know any more  :shock:  :?   Are their ways to tell?  Other than seeing an exact copy in a catalogue, I mean   :?  

BTW, I found this one at Dagfields while visiting son, d-i-l & grandchildren at the weekend.  I love Dagfields!   :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:48:19 AM »
So it's your fault we had dodgy weather up here :evil: It's very nice Leni :mrgreen:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
Thanks Christine  :D   BTW, we had wonderful weather!  Well, a little bit of rain late on Friday afternoon, but otherwise fantastic!  

I've edited the title of this thread, in case people don't know about my collection of 'Audreys' yet  :oops:  :roll:

Not that I usually get much response re my Victorian Vaseline!   :(  Is it only me, thee, and Mr Vaseline Glass interested in this sort of thing?   :?  :shock:

Well, more for us, I suppose  :twisted:  :lol:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:58:56 PM »
I'm interested in Vaseline as well Leni, but I rarely see any around here at a price I'm prepared to pay.Most of mine is later than Victorian though.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand