No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Drummer Figurine. ID = ZBS  (Read 2004 times)

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
Czech Drummer Figurine. ID = ZBS
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:04 AM »
I recently purchased my first piece of Czech glass.  I normally collect Murano, but I found him so interesting.  I would love to know more about it. Is there anyone who recognizes the piece?  Any information would be appreciated.

Rick

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Czech Drummer Figurine
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
Hi and welcome. GMB member Pamela has this (and another ZBS catalogue) on part of her exceptionally informative site on glass http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Glassexport-Zelezny-Brod-1955.153.0.html

http://www.cs-sklo.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo/ A bit more may be found on ZBS here and a search of this site will maybe find you some more information about these figures. They are fascinating and generally many of them represent traditional Czech pastimes and characters. I find them difficult to photograph, you have done well. Many were designed in the fifties but there are more modern ones being produced until very recently, which are not so well executed. Yours is certainly an older piece. The colours are less harsh and the assembly more delicate. ZBS produced all kinds of animals and even animal decorated thermometers, the range in total is vast numbering at least a few hundred designs. Great for a collector!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:16:02 AM »
Thank you so much for the information Robert.  I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Rick

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:50:11 AM »
Thank you from me as well Robert,  this has helped me confirm my Drunken Sailor model I have which also appears here in Pamela's  glass http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Glassexport-Zelezny-Brod-1955.153.0.html
It was advertised as Murano,  but I was pretty certain it was Zelezny-Brod.... and there he is!  I will add a picture tomorrow as it is rather late now. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
I meant to add that in UV light his shirt glows,  so I wondered if the drum in your piece Rick is also fluorescent... have you tried looking?

You will notice that he has bitten the top off his bottle... must have been very thirsty and eager to get at the contents!  ;)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Czech Drummer Figurine. ID = ZBS
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 12:09:29 AM »
Great piece too Rosie, another 50's-60's piece of glass, I am sure. This could be the flickerings of a 50's ZBS novelty figurine/animal thread.... If I can figure out how to photograph these, I will have to find a couple of things out to post!!! You must have an animal to add or two? I know I have some polar bears somewhere...

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand