No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hope this is right place for this topic!!!! (yea I'm new)  (Read 1248 times)

Offline luckysmom

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights!
    • united states
Hope this is right place for this topic!!!! (yea I'm new)
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »
Hi there,
I am writing to introduce myself. I was told about this website by someone on Ebay. I was REALLY glad to find out about this website; I've done some exploring and this site is amazing!
 ;D
Im a paperweight junkie and I don't know anyone else that is, so all my paperweights could be crummy, but crummy or not its great to finally others I can ask.

Im enthused to find others that know about PW's ;D

so... I might get a little bit OCD about paperweight details and ask a lot of questions!
I have a couple paperweights (inherited+collected) that I can't wait to finally talk with others about :D

Cheers, (I'm really glad someone referred me to your cool site!!! ;D :D :)
Steph

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Hope this is right place for this topic!!!! (yea I'm new)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
Hello and welcome!
I'm not a paperweight person myself, but there are loads of really keen and knowledgable pwt collectors and enthusiasts here.
I hope you're going to have lots of fun and make loads of new friends. :)

There is a wealth of techie information about how to post images of your weights here:-

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

Just find the set of instructions that are relevant to your pc systems.
If you get stuck, just yell and somebody will help. If you're really, really stuck, you can send me the images and I'll fix them for you.

We like to see things from lots of angles and we really, really like looking at bottoms - even if you think there is nothing there, we can tell quite a lot from the "sort of" nothing it is.

If there are any signatures or marks, they can be brought up with a light dusting of talcum powder.

Sometimes, it can be productive to photograph a weight in room temperature water (make sure the weight is also room temperature) because this can reduce the distortion from the optical effects of the dome.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »
Hi Steph

Glad you found it, lots of helpful people here.

Nick

Offline luckysmom

• Members
    • paperweights!
    • united states
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
Thanks much Nick!
And chopin-liszt Thank you as well! Your advice is good advice, and I will use it in the future!!!

I am thankful people have been kind thus far; I once belonged to a designer shoe/purse forum
and posted a picture in the wrong place....(not to mention a little gregarious at times).....well anyhoo,
I was sternly schooled on the proper way to post a picture and ya know, I still didnt get it! (or go back)

No evil vibes around here, and I appreciate the feedback (chopin-liszt!)

Steph

Offline bobsaunders

• Members
    • art glass
    • united states
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. Lot's of great info here. I "do not" consider myself to be a paperweight junkie! But I just look at my inventory list and it say's I am now at 106. Almost all glass artist, hand made art glass. I do not know where they are all at, but I counted some 70 on display recently.

My other interest are, A large collection of both Lalique and Rene Lalique. And loads of art glass vases.
Bob

P. S. My wife is starting to get nervus!

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
Don't worry Bob.  Wives go past the nervous phase and start buying things they like (Bitossi birds on the stilt legs at the moment!).  Put a few random pictures of weights on so we can see what you like!

Ian

Offline luckysmom

• Members
    • paperweights!
    • united states
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
Dear Bob,
yea, my husband moved a bunch of my weights to a storage unit because I was getting too many...(actually too many and paperweights should never be used in the same sentence, but I collect minerals too..)
anyway, my hubby is lucky he still lives after moving my PWs-I wish he had moved the minerals. If you think about mineral specimens have been in this world for billions/millions/thousands/hundreds of years, and paperweights?! Not long-but I finally got most out and have started taking some pictures.

And Ian, I will download those pictures as soon as I figure out how, and then i'd love to share my collection! As a matter of fact I am thinking of selling some because theres a specail convention coming up (unrelated to glass!) and I'd love to go to this convention and bring my brother Mike with me. So I'm not sure what many of them are and could use some help ID'ing some.

I love any paperweight that is crystal clear, or oddball like. There was a sasquatch look alike on ebay awhile back, you couldnt miss it, it was so weird yet made me smile every time I looked at it! I didn't buy it, but still grin thinking about how weird it was. I think it sposed to be a poodle....LOL?!

It seems like all my weights turn out to be Muranos! The muranos that are super quality and really clear? They always stump me, and no matter how many books I read, I'm not very good. So I'll be asking lots of questions and for lots of help!

I also have some curious thoughts about a lot paperweights and signatures...I'll get to that eventually, but it involves Lutzs, Dorflingers, Pantins, and where are all of them?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand