No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swingewood - Great Great Grandson  (Read 2480 times)

Offline SwingeyP

• Members
Swingewood - Great Great Grandson
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
I am the Great Great Grandson of Bill Swingewood snr.  I am looking for any lamp work made by him.

In particular any of the hunting goblets? Broken damaged, chipped, scratched, it doesn't matter. If you have anything i'd be interested.

Regards - Paul

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Swingewood - Great Great Grandson
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
I've got a tiny horse, but I don't know if it's your grandfather's work or not.
I bought it at the same time, in the same place as a tiny lampwork black poodle. (A charity shop - so they both might have simply come from somebody who liked tiny animals, not necessarily by the same maker.)

The tail worries me, it's 2 bits of glass sticking out in a tail-like manner, not one, the mane doesn't look right and neither do the angles of the legs. They curve in an unrealistic manner. I don't know if it's supposed to be cantering or galloping or even doing some peculiar "dressage" moves!

I have my doubts it's good enough to be his work, but more likely to be something by somebody your grandfather was perhaps teaching, because it's the right sort of style.
I don't have any photographs yet, but if the sun gets through the clouds sufficiently, I'l take a pic for you. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SwingeyP

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'd be interested in seeing any pictures.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
Not an easy beast to photograph!
It is tiny, my eyesight is not what it was, and even with my glasses on I can't tell what is going to come out or not. My apologies for taking so long to get this done - and for doing it so badly. I can answer any questions you may have about it, which might help you decide if it's your great-great-grandfather's work. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand