No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monet-Like Art Glass Vase ID - HELP! :) ID = Fields & Fields, USA  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Barb B.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Collecting
    • USA
Hi - I'm new here and am hoping for some help.  I tried to post this before, but it didn't work.  I am a neophyte with art glass, so please forgive my ignorance.   

I've just acquired a really spectacular art glass vase that I have very little information on.  The vase is executed masterfully.  The piece is signed, but I can't read the signature.  It is, what appears to me to be a "pocket" vase, hand blown, with a yellowish base color.  About 10" square, with a brilliant multi-color applied pattern that is reminiscent of an impressionistic Summer garden.  The colors are magnificent and rival any I've ever seen in art glass for sheer brilliance. There are waves of subtle fumed iridescence over the entire piece.  The gentleman that I got the vase from had very little information.  It belonged to his parents and he had the vague idea that they bought it in Utah in the 1960's.  Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.  I love this vase with my whole heart and can't stop looking at it, so any information would be a gift.  Thank you in advance.  I've attached a picture of the vase (which does it zero justice) and the signature, which is located on the punty button.

Barb
Washington, DC

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Monet-Like Art Glass Vase ID - HELP! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:13:05 AM »
 :o That is just beautiful PS welcome to the board

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
reminds me a lot of Peter Layton's landscape vases - but I can't work out whether the sig is right or not.

http://www.masterpieceonline.com/title.php?ititlenum=2390&galleryId=1EDE-FCCH-6E59

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
It is absolutely fabulous.  :o
I think it looks very, very like a piece of Phoenician glass. They did do a range very like this.
(Christine/Lustrousstone, you have a disc shaped pwt.)

But it strikes me that it would not have been in Utah in the '60s. Phoenician wasn't set up until a good while later.

To be honest, I would very much doubt the date of '60s. The Studio Glass Movement didn't start until '62, and the work was all very crude and experimental (but gorgeous, I love it).
This is a far more sophisticated piece than was being produced at that time, unless it turns out to be an individual piece from one of the bigger companies.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
(Christine/Lustrousstone, you have a disc shaped pwt.)
K thought was what it was when he saw me looking this am

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
It's not an easy design to find at all. There was a tall, elongated disc bottle on ebay a while ago.
I had been watching it for some time, but nobody bid. Nobody knew much about Phoenician then, and the start price was £30 odds. I decided to go for it on the third listing, but had to put my bid on early as I wasn't able to be at a pc to bid at the last second.
Clearly, it had had a lot of watchers, and as soon as I had put a bid on, folk searched my buying history (pretty much all Maltese - and some very good bits) and it went for a fair bit. I've never found another.
I was very pleased indeed when you bought that weight, Christine.  :-*
I knew it was a real goodie and probably quite scarce, even if not properly recognised at the time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

bfg

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
would it help to powder the signature to bring it out? - I'm having great difficulty seeing it

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
It doesn't look as if it would read either Phoenician OR Peter Layton.
Peter Layton would not surprise me as the origin of this piece. I find a lot of his work looks very "Maltese in inspiration", the biggest differentiation is that PL uses bought in colours, while (at least earlier) Maltese make some of their colours using metal salts as well.

Barb B. (sorry, I didn't say "welcome"! I was just enchanted by the glass and forgot. :-[ )
We are discussing European makers here, not American, and there is every liklihood it could be by an American maker we don't know about. Glass does travel surprisingly far though.  :-\

I have taken the liberty of going through Christine's images and tracked down the weight.
There is the caveat that a paperweight will not neccessarily reflect a complete design that is used on a larger vessel.

http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?album=17&pid=38#top_display_media
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
This is a (lousy) image of a purple Perfume bottle in a similar design - one with blobs at the bottom.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/phoenician-glass-hand-blown-perfume-bottle-from

(I was searching for an image of a large bottle-y piece, rather than little PBs or PWts, for which designs are often altered to accommodate the small size. No luck.  :'( )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Barb B.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Collecting
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
OP Here - Wow, you guys!  Thanks!  I'm really learning a bunch here.  I wish my pictures were better.  Today, I'm having no luck taking clear pictures at all.  I did try the powder idea, which seems to have brought the signature out some, but I can't get a good close-up with my lousy camera.  It looks to me like the first and last names both start with a large cursive "F", but don't quote me on that.  I'm going to try to track down a magnifying glass.  The signature is really small.

The applied "garden" on the bottom of the vase is actually pretty textural, not melted flat - if that helps.  There might also be some subtle carving, to bring out the texture of the "flowers."  The Peter Layton pieces looked pretty similar, with a more flat look to the finish.  The Phoenician pieces also have some similarity.  It's all very confusing.  This Layton vase is somewhat similar, but without the textural aspect and the extravagant use of color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjaras/102252480/

I felt from the start that the piece seemed to be more contemporary in sophistication than if it had actually been from the 1960's.  I'm glad you agree. 

I think it's a pretty exceptional work, no matter the date of creation.  :)  I wish you guys could see the colors.  The picture really mutes them.  They are nearly circus bright, but done with such an elevated understanding of color that they aren't jarring.  It really is beautiful.

Barb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand