No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monet-Like Art Glass Vase ID - HELP! :) ID = Fields & Fields, USA  (Read 5979 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monet-Like Art Glass Vase ID - HELP! :)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
The bottom part will just be what is called surface decorated.
The hot gather of glass will have been rolled over the small coloured pieces of enamel which would have been laid out on the marver, to pick them up. You will end up with a surface texture exactly as you describe, just as long as they are not fully rolled into the gather, or futher cased.
I'm very green here. I'm completely in love with it, and very glad it's owned by somebody who appreciates it so much. But finding the maker would be the icing on the cake!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
Reading a signature on a higly patterned piece like this is hard if the photo is taken "Straight on" like you have.  I suggest you try to get a shallow angle so the glass surface reflects light and the signature will appear black, the pattern wil not appear at all.  Here are two photos of a Kosta Boda base I own that illustrate what I mean.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Barb B.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Collecting
    • USA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
We have been trying for two days to get a better picture of the signature.  Unfortunately we are having an issue getting a clear shot.  We will try the oblique view tonight to see if that helps.  The signature is very small, on an uneven punty button that is also highly colored, the combination of which makes it a real challenge.  Sorry for the delay!  I really want to get some help with this, so I hope people stick around until I manage a decent shot.  Even if I get a good picture, the signature doesn't seem very clear.  I'm dying to know who crafted this gem!!!  :)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 06:25:56 AM »
Sometimes you will get a better result for clarity if you use a telephoto lens and take from a bigger distance rather than trying to get too close.  This is because the depth of field is wider and therefore the chance of a sharp photo is better.  Another fact to remember (especially if you are focussing manually) is that the depth of field for 'sharpness' is approximately 3 times greater beyond the object than it is in front.

You can then crop the photo and save the result.  Then resixze the cropped bit to fit on the GMB as close as you can to 124.99Kb so we oldies can see it more clearly.

Ross

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »
The vase reminds me a lot of Peter Layton's work (landscape/blossom for example), but having looked at numerous sigs, it doesn't match. 
Also the base of the vases often have a flat ground base, not  a pontil mark.
The sig seems to read Faith ..... to me with the second name starting with an F or a T or J.  But I've not been able to find a match sorry.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
It's nothing like Peter Layton's signature. (I have 2)
Pehpas it could have been made by somebody working in his studio - who signed it, rather than Mr. Layton himself.
But he normally signs his designs (which are made by the glassmakers anyway). I can't see him letting somebody else sign it, but I may be wrong.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
Try John and Heather Fields - this link has a vase very similar to yours. And they are US based .

http://www.childhoods-end-gallery.com/Fields_and_%20Fields113.html

Looks very like it to me. ?? What do you think??

Found it accidentally - was reminded of a Cathy Richardson piece and googled images of her work  - she does paperweights exclusively it seems. Because I'd added vase to her name this came up in the images.

It is beautiful by the way!
regards from Oz
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
Fantastic sleuthing JAK!
m

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
Great job Jackie.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand