No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Misleading eBay seller  (Read 1810 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Misleading eBay seller
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »

There is a regular seller of paperweight and related items on eBay who seems to believe any old rubbish he is told by the person who is consigning the pieces for him to sell.  Last month there was a Perthshire PP12 with obvious P1969 cane, described as 'rare antique French 1845 -1860', at a Buy it Now price appropriate to an antique French piece. I hope no one bought it.  I have tried telling the seller about description errors on several occasions, but I just get 'This item belongs to an eminent author and authority on paperweights'.

Now there is a 'superb antique Gillander Victoria Head inkwell', apparently made in England. So Gillinder is spelled wrongly, and his factory was actually in the USA....but don't let facts get in the way of a good description!

I would agree with the Made in England bit - but the piece looks to be Richardson to me. A nice enough bottle - but I do not think that is the original stopper.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Re: Misleading eBay seller
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
I hear you.

As an ebay seller, all glass, mostly paperweights, I do my best to properly identify items.

Once in a while, I'll post here asking if anyone knows, and when I do, I always give credit on my listing.

When I get it wrong, and you bet, I do get things wrong, I love it when someone tells me. I always reply with a thank you, and then edit or cancel/relist the item with the correct information.

I just bought a "lot" of three pieces, seller claimed 2 were signed Rollin Karg, and that all three were dichroic paperweights. When I got them the two signed Rollin Karg, were actually signed Karg, which is the signature of Rollin's nephew Jim Karg. The Rolling Kargs should sell around $40 for that size weight, whereas the Jim Karg of that size sells for $15-$20. And none of the three had an iota of dichroic glass.

I notified the seller, explain the differences, and giving her some links to dichroic pieces, so she would understand the difference. I told her I would be a nice guy, and keep them, figuring I would sell them at what I paid, and it would be easier than demanding she take them back. She never responded, and of course now, I keep debating making her take them back, because she's too freaking rude to even say, oops, sorry.
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
Same here i love it when someone put's me straight, there is a similar Described ink bottle by Richardson that went unsold a couple of days ago with a millefiori stopper to the one you posted
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-English-paperweight-base-ink-bottle-by-Richardson-C66-/261379796195?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item3cdb732ce3
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Ahhh, but that one is correctly described ;)

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand