No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: blue pressed glass pearline hobnail pattern boat help please  (Read 5877 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
blue pressed glass pearline hobnail pattern boat help please
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Can anyone help me with this please, no idea what it's for, i think it's Victorian, no makers marks and there are a lot of creases to the inner glass, not crackle glass, it long 14 1/2 inches in length 1 3/4 inches in height. very irregular in shape.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: blue pressed glass pearline hobnail pattern boat help please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
Bruce, these are tricky to attribute, please search here for 'posy trough'  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
Hi Bruce and Pamela

There was a post a few years ago which may help.

I have seen many of these glass boats over the years but cannot remember seeing one in what looks to be opalescent blue.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34328.msg185958.html

http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Meisenthal-1907.124+B6YmFja1BJRD0xMjQmcHJvZHVjdElEPTU1NjgmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MTI0JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Roy

bfg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »
another flippin book ordered  ::)

this forum is costing me an arm and a leg lol  ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
Yes i'm going to have to stop making shelves for my glass and build a bookcases instead, it looks like the boat is in the 1907 catalogue for sure and that's a great memory Roy regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
Chris — The similar sized boat, Silber & Fleming No. 5029, has a gadrooned base matching the sides, and no maker's marks.   It is shown in the Silber & Fleming wholesale catalogue on a crystal rod stand, held together with silver-plated brass wire, resting on a long mirror plateau on a maroon velvet covered wooden base.   Silber & Fleming sourced their goods from a variety of manufacturers in Britain and Europe.   We don't know whether they bought in 5029 complete or bought in the components, assembling it themselves in their own workshop.   Certainly the mirror plateaux were manufactured by the same British manufacturer as supplied most or all of the mirror bases for epergnes &c., as the standard pale green and creamy yellow paint on the underside shows.

Your opalescent version with the hobnail base is new to me.   One possibility is that Silber & Fleming had to go to a different manufacturer to obtain an opalescent version, necessitating a new mould.   The catalogue illustration shows only a side view, so any base pattern would have sufficed, and a different pattern would have reduced the risk of being accused of plagiarism.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
Ok thanks for that, i think it will remain a mystery, lovely looking piece of glass though, do you think the date is about right 1907 ish? regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Chris — Your boat could be earlier, as the Silber & Fleming catalogue (undated) is probably early 1890s.   I haven't checked recently to see if anyone has come up with a more accurate date for it, so it might be worth a search to find out.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand