No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Murano?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is it Murano?
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
This paperweight belongs to a friend of mine who doesn't have the internet, but I wish it was mine.  8)

I think it might be Murano as it has that gold dust near the base (picture no 4). Do you have any clues to the maker and value if any, please?  :)

Also, there is a hole on the base which I think was caused when they polished it, not sure. Will this effect the value of the weight?

Thanks.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Is it Murano?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:11:45 AM »
yep chips it's a good murano one, but im the same as simone don't know the maker,

Just wondering how the 1800's paperweight's were sold?,  were they sold in boxes, if so how come none have survived , just a thought
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is it Murano?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:13:34 AM »
Quote from: "RAY"
Just wondering how the 1800's paperweight's were sold?,  were they sold in boxes, if so how come none have survived , just a thought

I've never heard of a Victorian weight coming with a box. Perhaps boxes were in short supply then and were used for other things?

It mentions in my book "Miller's Paperweights of the 19th & 20th centuries" that the story in terms of Murano paperweights starts in 1845. I'm not sure if Murano itself made paperwieghts before that or whether that was the time canes were invented.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Leni

• Members
Is it Murano?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:42:14 AM »
Murano makers (like many others) put a lot of fake date canes in weights.  Don't try to date Murano weights by date canes!   :wink:

BTW, the finish of the base of your friend's weight looks a bit like the way Chinese weights are finished!   :shock:

Oh, my goodness!  I didn't just say that!   :shock:  :lol:  :wink:

No, I'd say definitely Murano, but those 'rose' canes ought to be tellingl me which maker   :?
Leni

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is it Murano?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »
BTW, the finish of the base of your friend's weight looks a bit like the way Chinese weights are finished!

Were you kidding? the base is not frosted, it's polished flat. The base has a lot of ware. Or did you mean something else? :)

Offline Leni

• Members
Is it Murano?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:09:46 AM »
I was talking about the 'hole' - sorry, only teasing!
Leni

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is it Murano?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:13:50 PM »
What do you think the hole is? Is it a large bubble that has tried to be polished out or is it a chip which happened while polishing. Seems rather large for one of those though.

Looking at the pictures it appears to have a yellow tint. I don't remember if this is the case in real life, you know what my memory's like...

...I don't remember what my memories like but you might.  :lol:

How old do you think it is? I'm sure modern Murano would not have this tint in it or would it?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Is it Murano?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:20:40 PM »
The hole is the result of the pontil either pulling a piece out when snapping off or a bubble that was under the pontil button. You can only grind down so far.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is it Murano?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 09:32:16 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
The hole is the result of the pontil either pulling a piece out when snapping off or a bubble that was under the pontil button. You can only grind down so far.

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand