No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens and Williams Arboresque question  (Read 13370 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Stevens and Williams Arboresque question
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Does anyone have a genuine reference image for what this looked like please?
I'm asking because I've seen this pattern described here http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/estoz1.html
as:

'The 1930's saw the introduction of Tortoiseshell, Arboresque (a surface treatment of trailed 'uncontrolled' colours, typically jade and rose).'

but, there seems to be some confusion on the web.  This one
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5715196
says:
'Stevens & Williams made a design pattern called ARBORESQUE in the 1930's that was made in 4 different colors. This has to be the most popular, vaseline glass, with a layer of white glass over the top. This was accomplished by a gather of vaseline glass, followed by a layer of white glass, and then through the expert of a true glassmaster, the maker was able to give it a faux crackle glass appearance without it truly being crackle glass. The metalwork is original to the piece and the original cover is even there! The metalwork is not marked.'
and
' similar pattern/design shown in DECORATIVE VICTORIAN GLASS, by Cyril Manley, copyright 1981 by Ward Lock Limited and Manley. color photo #285 -- part of a collection of art glass to be sold live on eBayLiveAuctions on Oct 5th at 1pm, Andy & Rob Collection.'

The reference is Manley and I don't have that book.  Can anyone check to see if it is the same decor please?  Many thanks.

Subsequently I've found a couple of pieces like the white surface crackle above, described as Arboresque from Stevens and Williams.

I'm interested because I have found a particular piece in this decor, not described as S&W Arboresque, but which matches a piece I have in shape,that I also believe is Stevens and Williams. 
So if the pattern is not Arboresque, does anyone know what it is please and also whether or not it was definitely made by Stevens and Williams.

Thank you
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Stevens and Williams Arboresque question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
That vaseline marmalade looks mightily like Kralik Soft Crackle.... Interesting as I bought what I think is a bit of Soft Crackle yesterday (not the two in the photo).

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
 it does, but I'm not sure it is - can't explain quite why though.
Also there are other pieces I've found with this treatment that I'm not sure are Kralik either.  The piece I've found that is like one of my pieces is quite distinct and I would not have thought Kralik for it to be honest.  Always the caveat that it could be, but currently I'm thinking not.

I'm wondering who made this crackle decoration though as the S&W books described Arboresque as per the description from Style and Design, so the Andy and Rob piece doesn't appear to be Arboresque - so who might have made it apart from Kralik making a white crackle version.
I have seen it described as Webb's as well.  But again I had my doubts.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
I think I  might have to cave in and get the Manley book.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
I have copy of Manley to hand, and item #285 appears on the bottom row of page 92. The piece is a shallow bowl with flared sides developing into a flattened rim, but the glass body certainly looks very similar to that shown in the liveauctioneers.com link.

The text in Manley reads:
“285. Another example of cracked surface, but no mystery who made it. Steven & Williams, in 4 colours, recorded as ‘Arboresque’ in 1930. Crystal over cracked iridescent surface. 27.9cm (11 in) diameter.”

If you contact me direct by email using the facility alongside this post I will see if I can email a copy of the photo to you for your own personal use.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »
Fred, I'm very grateful and will do.
So,the question is then, is it Arboresque from Stevens and Williams?
'Arboresque (a surface treatment of trailed 'uncontrolled' colours, typically jade and rose'  from Style and Design site.  And that description in the Stevens and Williams book The Crystal Years is
'This was a treatment carried out in the early 1930's and used a glasshouse effect of trailed uneven coloured glass, mainly of jade green and rose, on to the surface of clear crystal articles.'

That white over uranium yellow green color crackle doesn't 'seem' to me to represent what the description is... does it?  :-\

I've attached a pic of a small pot I had a while ago in a similar decor.  I would not have described it as trailed uncontrolled colours (obviously not jade and rose of course).  It was yellow glass with a white overlay that had been dipped to crackle and then blown out a bit to widen the crackle veins between the white patches, at least as far as I could see.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
going back to John's point, I've looked again at the piece that looks like mine and I've changed my mind.  I think it IS possible it could be Kralik or Bohemian i.e. there's nothing about it that would say it could not be Bohemian.
So it is possible that only Kralik made this white over coloured glass crackle? 
Or has anyone seen anything that might id them as English or another maker?

I will try and find the information that led to these white overlay crackle pieces being id'd as 'Soft crackle Kralik' and link it.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
as I said in the last post

this is some information that shows a vase id'd as 'soft crackle Kralik'
https://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/kralik-1a--id-by-shape

there is a hyacinth vase on the far right top row here that has the white crackle
and a yellow vase in the top row that I think might have been on the board here (I'll try and find it)
http://www.kralik-glass.com/kralikcracklearray.html

this one is similar to that yellow one though perhaps not the same piece- http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46923.msg263927.html#msg263927
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
My eye 'sees' the pieces with white crackle on the Kralik-glass.com site as different to the white on my little pot.  The pieces on the site look as though the white layer is much flatter, smoother than that on my pot or on the Andy and Rob piece through Live Auctioneers.

Would that make a difference enough for some to possibly be a different maker? or is it just that some are smoother than others perhaps?

I'm still very confused about the Manley description of what is Arboresque v the Stevens and Williams book though.  They seem to be two completely different descriptions to me.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Photo of a piece described as 'Arboresque' under the Stevens and Williams heading at
http://www.vaselineglass.org/FACTORY.HTML

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand