No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: English Ink Bottle  (Read 997 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
English Ink Bottle
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
Hi All,
         I am looking for some views on the maker of this english ink bottle. My thoughts are between Walsh Walsh and Whitefriars. It has canes which appear to be more Whitefriars than WW. They are very similar to those in the Triplex weights and the 1953 Coronation weights. However it has partially pulled-under canes and a rough pontil. That said the Triplex and Coronation weights also had rough pontils.

The red canes in the top have a lot of WF similarities. They have 8 outside "points" which fits with most of the early WF canes but I cannot place the centre canes in the design. The shape of the bottle is very similar to later WF bottles but the ink "well" is bigger and lower than the later bottles.

All thoughts welcomed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: English Ink Bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »

Hi Tony.

I have had a couple of similar bottles with what appear to be a mixture of Whitefriars and Walsh Walsh features. One had Triplex weight canes mixed with '7/6' canes, usually attributed to Walsh Walsh and Arculus.

I think these pieces were made around 1950 when Walsh Walsh closed, and some of their workers moved to Whitefriars and kick started their paperweight ( and related object) production. The close collaboration between Whitefriars and Walsh Walsh in the late 1940s in their lighting department is an accepted fact.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand