No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etched Port/Sherry Glass, Victorian?  (Read 584 times)

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Etched Port/Sherry Glass, Victorian?
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
Just joined the board and very new to glass collecting. Have bought a few pieces at car boots to try and get my eye in.

I have looked at this glass, which I think it is a port/sherry glass and most likely Victorian. It appears to be diamond-point etched as I can see the individual lines under a jewellers loupe. The pontil is unpolished and there are numerous small bubbles through the glass including on the rim. The pattern is a fern design, having trouble getting clear close ups so the detail of the etching can be seen. So my question is what are peoples opinions on here? Am I completely wrong, or on the right tracks?

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Etched Port/Sherry Glass, Victorian?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Welcome to the board. You seem on the right track to me, except it will be wheel engraved not etched.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Would wheel etching produce the same individual marks when viewed closely?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
Yes

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »
welcome from me as well :)                     Not so sure that I understand the last comment entirely, so hope Christine doesn't object to me adding a little to her comments..............

Wheel engraving is what it says....   the worker holds the bowl against a revolving wheel (apparently for wheel engraving the bowl was held above the wheel) - in this instance possibly a small copper one - with a cutting medium of fine sand or grit in a paste or grease carrier.           Your example is wheel engraved, and is unrelated to etching.

Etching produces a very different looking result.          The bowl would have been covered with a resist - placed in a machine designed for the purpose, and the pattern then created through the resist, bu means of fine steel points.           Acid was then applied to the glass (or it was dipped) and where the resist had been removed (the design), the acid then bit and made the design permanent.
Etched decoration often appears flowery, mechanical and precise and is very shallow on the surface of the glass, unlike wheel engraving.

These two form of decoration look entirely different, and you should never be in doubt as to which you are looking at.            Acid etched decorated glasses are common to the point of being prolific, and you will find them in charity shops and boot sales in abundance  -  as a form of decoration, acid etching may well have continued until some time around 1940 ish.

Your fern decoration was an extremely common feature on wine glasses in the mid to second half of the C19, and is more likely to be seen on clear glass.       Unfortunately, it's not possible to be precise with dating these pieces - although some features can indicate early or later periods - this one I suspect is of low quality and in the absence of reasonable wear is likely to be late, in my opinion.

However, it's a usable glass, and a piece of history, just think of all the folk who have held this glass, used and loved it.               So, now time to go out and find a piece with acid etched decoration, so you can see the difference.  :) 

P.S.    With most requests for id, it's very useful to give dimension - in the case of drinking glasses it's helpful to know the height.       

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »
Thank you for the information. I realise I should have written engraved as opposed to etching, I realised that it definitely was not acid etched. My question related to the individual lines that you can see under magnification created by the engraving process and whether or not wheel engraving would create these marks. I collect porcelain so an analogy for me would be comparing hand painted to transfer printed where using a loupe you can clearly see the individual brush strokes.

You have also answered another question about my glass with regards to the date as I was thinking ca.1870-1880.

I also love the history behind the objects and the fact that you can buy a little glass like this for £1 at a car boot sale.

I'll remember to post dimensions on my next post as I have another glass and a decanter which I bought at the same time, just want to do my own research first before posting.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
I have learnt a lot from this board in a short few weeks and i thought i new a lot, keep reading the posts there better than any book. regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Hi, Paul is almost certainly right as to date.  It almost certainly dates from the period of ptreridomania which lasted from about 1850-1890.  The obsession with ferns at that time was unbelievable and was primarily down to the fact that ferns have no male or female parts and therefore could be discussed by ladies without their having to faint in embarassment.  From that to Miley Cyrus in only 130 years!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand