No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: saggy bottom edwardian tumbler?  (Read 459 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
saggy bottom edwardian tumbler?
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
Hi all,i think this is a tumbler,it's 11cm high and a shape i haven't seen before with a pushed up base and polished pontil,it's light with a mixture of machine and hand etching,i think, a tad different to other Edwardian glasses i've seen with a twist in the glass from base to top,anyone know much about these ,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: saggy bottom edwardian tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
not seen this flared bottom before, but would suggest possibility that this is one half of what is known variously as a ...  tumble-up/guest night water set/carafe and tumbler.         Can't find an example if S. & F. with this flare, but virtually all of the tumblers made for this purpose show a curve/rounded profile where the sides meet the base.            This part of the set was made of thin glass. usually, as opposed to the much thicker glass of ordinary tumblers.

the upper half of the decoration is wheel engraved and the lower shallow mechanical looking bit is machine acid etching.                 Date wise anything from 1870 ish to 1920 ish or even later.

But I could well be wrong, and others may know a better answer :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: saggy bottom edwardian tumbler?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
Ahh,yes i think you maybe onto it there Paul and what a shame, i would love to see the design of the body,i'm sure it would have had the same spiral in the glass and it would have been interesting to see how they balanced the form with the glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand