No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian or Georgian desert dish bowl help please.  (Read 644 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Victorian or Georgian desert dish bowl help please.
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
I have been reading up (believing it or not) on old glass and think this simple pattern was common on 1830's 1840's  bit's of glass. It has a lot of wear to the base with a polished pontil, i'm not even sure what it's for as  i keep coming across this size of dish and 9 times out of ten there described as sweet meat dishes or bon bon dishes, it was only ten pence so with the chip i thought it was worth asking the question here to see if i'm on the right track or not.

It's 41/2 inches in height, 4 1/2 inches across the rim and 3 1/2 inches across the base
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian or Georgian desert dish bowl help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
looks more like an 'open/unlidded sugar'.             Too deep I think for a comport or sweetmeat dish - and date wise I think it's a bit later than you're suggesting - perhaps more like 1860 - 1890.
The capacity of the bowl looks more adequate for a sugar - quite deep - although I suspect in reality the piece was versatile.           Can't remember when granular sugar became commonplace, but no doubt glass containers for sugar rocketed in popularity as soon as this occured, sometimes they're common at boot sales.            Prior to which you needed sugar tongs to cut pieces from a larger lump. :)

In  which books have you been looking?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand