Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Frosted candlestick - can anyone recognise the signature please?  (Read 98 times)

Offline LarryB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina, Chribska, Skrdlovice
    • UK
Frosted candlestick - can anyone recognise the signature please?
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
This very large candlestick (22cm tall, 575g) is in frosted pearl and clear amber glass on a frosted peach base with applied gilt highlights. The bowl which holds the candle is  shaped like a candle which has melted down one side. The glass trails resemble molten wax and are suspended in mid-air, quite separate from the body, and hence very delicate. The base has an engraved signature - unusually, this is on the top (i.e. visible) side of the base, not hidden underneath it. The signature is extremely faint, and engraved against a matching background, so its difficult to photograph it clearly. Anyway, if anyone can identify the signature, I'd be a very happy bunny. Thanks, Larry.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Frosted candlestick - can anyone recognise the signature please?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
If it is a first name it looks like 'Ian' or 'Jan', but the last squiggle is not very identifiable.
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline LarryB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina, Chribska, Skrdlovice
    • UK
Re: Frosted candlestick - can anyone recognise the signature please?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
Good evening, David, Thanks for your suggestion. I've been hung up on "Jan", but of course "Ian" is equally possible. This is one of these flamboyantly stylised signatures which are identified by its shape, rather than by its letters....which begs the question "why bother signing it if no-one can read it?" I'll keep trying, and keep you posted. Regards, L.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com