No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying pink crystal stemware  (Read 843 times)

Offline Davidt100

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stemware
    • USA
Help identifying pink crystal stemware
« on: December 08, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »
Hello I’m helping my wife identify her grandmothers crystal stemware, we have looked high and low, any help would be great.  This came from the NE region of the US.  It stands 5” tall and is 3” in diameter.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help identifying pink crystal stemware
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB :)       Regret I've no idea as to the origin or date of your glasses - cranberry is always attractive, especially when combined with clear.    You don't mention whether you've already tried any of the States groups involved in cut glass - it might be thought that they would be your best bet  -  we get very little interest or postings here showing your cut material  -  to the extent that unless this cut pattern can be found in the books then we're unable to help.        I take it that grandmother is no longer around to help with suggestions of actual origin and possible date of acquisition.

States cut glass industry was at its most prolific apparently around 1900, and to quote Jane Spillman ('The American Cut Glass Industry')  ... "Small cutting shops, each of which had ten to 50 employees turning out less expensive goods, mushroomed between 1900 and 1910"  -  so it was obviously a massive market, and finding the exact pattern is essential to finding a maker.                That said, this particular industry was further complicated insofar as the trade was commonly split into those factories that made the blanks and then separately, those who purchased the blanks and specialized in cutting.              I have looked through the above mentioned book, but no joy in finding this one.

Your glasses may lack anything near that sort of age, and in the absence of evidence it's difficult to be confident of any particular age  -  these glasses may have sat in cabinet for many decades and never used.           The pattern on these might be am exact copy of something used over a hundred years ago, or it may simply be a combination of earlier design elements.     Those regularly spaced horizontal lines looks to be something found mostly on States cutting - they're not a feature seen on European glass - although the arches containing multiple small relief diamonds are common to many countries  -  the faceted stem is a nice touch, and perhaps unusual to the States, who seem to been keen on notched stems.

Unfortunately, for us, glass travels, and it's not impossible that the origin of these was very far from your suggestion of the N.E. region. 

Sorry this is unhelpful  -  fingers crossed someone may be able to add further, but I think the odds are against you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Help identifying pink crystal stemware
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »
I will agree with Paul about 1890-1910 in date and very nice. Could be a piece of Stourbridge glass, i would think a big factory as i would imagine this being just a tiny piece in a huge set same pattern.

I find from time to time pieces of missing Victorian sets and the skill to make that glass i would not think is around today.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand