No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating jelly glasses  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Re: Dating jelly glasses
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
Bruce

Could your glass be a celery glass/vase?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
I would say most definitely not....         If you look at celeries they have a much wider body - and with C19 examples there is almost always a short stem.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
No it's too small to be a celery vase, the problem is with this old glass i'm finding  is there are so many variables, designs methods of manufacture it's tricky to pin anything down. Modern glass have pontils, lots of age wear, so does old glass, i have seen seeds dirt black specs in modern glass and Georgian, ive got 80 odd silver rimmed date-able bits from 1850 to 1930 some look brand new, i picked up a lovely wheel engraved glass up today with typical Victorian ferns dated 1918, polished  base lots of wear, also a Victorian wine glass with lots of wear and no pontil gadget mark nothing, i have a few dated 1920's bits with gadget marks the list goes on, it's turning my hair grey and there is very limited information on everyday Victorian glass.  ???
Chris Parry

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
I find doing the research really interesting. Over the past year I have learned so much from this board, dealers (you know who you are!), books and the internet.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
Yes i agree, i would never be able to put a name or make to the things i have posted here without the help of like minded people, this site  is worth it's weight in gold, i hope it never shuts down. You get to see other pieces of glass you would never see as there locked away in peoples collections. Without dealers you would not be able to own such lovely Gems, i was reading an Edwardian book that deals with Georgian glass and the collector that wrote the book used to go from village to village knocking doors to ask if any old bits were for sale, imagine if he had the internet it would blow his mind.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »
The Victorian period covers a vast range of designs and styles, and it can be very difficult sometimes knowing what date to put on pieces.              There's no dout that Silber & Fleming is a very useful guide at least to understanding the range of utility (and sometimes better quality) domestic glass objects, and although the book doesn't specifically give dates - it does show what was around in much of the second half of the C19.
I'd suggest the book is essential if you collect Victoriana as it provides pix of so many ordinary objects that turn up frequently on the GMB.

Probably true that glass from the C18 is far better catered for than the C19 - and collectors are quick to explain why that should be.            Also, it's very easy to collect too widely, and end up with mountains of stuff, a lot of which we haven't the time to research for id, and there's a tendency for people to ascribe an earlier date than a piece actually deserves  -  ebay is full of sellers who want their Victorian glass to be Georgian.

Look forward to seeing your 1920's bits with gadget marks - if you can get a photograph  -  but do get above book if you don't already have it  -  money well spent. :)

shame no one else wishes to comment on this piece.   

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »
Yes ive got the Silber book but it mainly deals with high Victoriana, for the middle classes nothing really on everyday bits of glass, and so much has been produced in back gardens over the years. I saw today a modern pint glass, i wish i would have picked it,  i will if it's still in a local Church charity shop with beautiful barley and hops wheel engraved design not so dissimilar to Georgian glass, having only a fiver and no wallet having just finished work i picked up these two tankards instead,  one i think is an 1980's piece of Stuart crystal and the other is 1850's must be a piece of local Stourbridge glass, has seeds, wear around the rims excluding the handle a lovely ring and deep polished pontil, i thought how similar they were sat next to each other so  i picked them up instead. I do need to pick one thing and get rid of the rest but i just love the stuff.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand