No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Exhibition in Perth Museum  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Glass Exhibition in Perth Museum
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
An article here about a new exhibition "Dazzle" due to open in Perth Museum on March 4th http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/be-dazzled-by-perth-glass-1.245234
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass Exhibition in Perth Museum
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
Finally got there today... and despite my hopes that most of the Monart normally hidden away would be out, there was actually very little, but what there was, was beautifully displayed and lit.
But I was not disappointed in that my two favourite pieces of all time were finally out on display.

I had of course, managed to forget my camera - but not my uv torch..
My two favouritue bits have become even more wonderfully desirable and gorgeous - they both contain considerable amounts of uranium.
Michael tried to photograph them with his phone camera... but his attempts at "seeing" the glass through the  thing were about as useless as his attempts to make a cup of drinkable coffee. Utterly hopeless, doomed before starting.
I've added a couple of pics if the pieces, with my UV torch applied through the glass at them.
The chalice came out ok, (an accident) the cylinder looks nothing like itself.

The O'Brion Caithess took up a cabinet or two I would have preferred to see being used for more of the Monart; tons of fabby stuff is still all shut away, it's glory hidden from view in acid free paper and cardboard boxes.

It's not as if folk don't know what Caithness Morvern or Canisbay decanters look like, you'd struggle to get £20 for one, they're in all the charity shops... :(

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
I was invited to the Civic Reception for the opening of the Perth Museum's 2014 new exhibitions which included the glass collection Dazzle. Now housed in a room on it's own.
This collection is a massive improvement in every way ie a larger and brighter space, a large and more varied selection of glass.
Paperweight collectors will be glad to see that paperweights are well represented.
Not sure I agree with you Sue re the Monart on view, 90% of the Monart now being displayed has not been on show in the museum for the last seven years.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
But there are still only 3 cabinets of Ysart.  :-\
All nicely spread out, only 3 pieces to a shelf, 3 shelves to a cabinet.  :'(

You know how much they've got hidden away - they could fill rooms with cabinets of glorious glass.

But I am truly delighted that my two favourite pieces ever are now on display. It's worth a trip to Perth just to drool.

I've been dreaming about them! I dreamt that Lustrousstone had managed to discover that the cylinder vase was all cracked - a Monart jig-saw. I was getting hopeful they might sell it to me...

I did offer them my Alison Kinnarid storm lantern in exchange, when I was there. They laughed.  >:(

But I was able to tell them about the presence of much uraniumness in these pieces. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
I did manage to take some photos on the opening night (the quality is not that good), slightly more than 3 pieces Ysart glass per cabinet though Sue.
You are correct Sue in that they could fill the whole room with Ysart glass that they have in storage, I would also like to see more Monart, but that is not the point of the exhibition.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »
 ;D Oh I'm drooling now, what a treat.

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
Follow link to view the Monart Perth museum have in their reserve collection.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=1006
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
Lot and lots of lovely things - love the orange QA - would love to see that in the "flesh"!
The chalice is definitely the same colour-way as my vase  but with more blue in it.
Thanks Gary

Roberta
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand