No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique drinking glass help please  (Read 1646 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Antique drinking glass help please
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
bought a box of treasure ( the wife says it should be buried )  took out what i wanted but in the bottom wrapped in kitchen roll was this glass. i dont know much about glass and even less about drinking glasses. had a look in my books and online but cant find similar. here is what i think / hope it is. 18th century, bohemian,  funnel bowl , bladed knop stem with enamel flower decoration. there is a pea size blob of glass inside the bowl think this was part of the stem before the bowl was made . now you can shoot me down any help would be greatfull
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Antique drinking glass help please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »
I can't help on an id anyway, but do you think you might be able to increase your picture size to a 600 x 400 so that any detail can be seen on the glass. Also, photographing it against a white background might enable the clarity of the glass to be seen.
Enameling especially looks different against a black background to what it looks like in daylight.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
Interesting glass,i haven't seen any English glass with that type of decoration,if it was from here i would guess late 18th to early 19th,do you think the foot has been cut down a bit?

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:58:50 AM »
thanks for looking it is better with white back ground i can see more decoration. it had a gold rim and another ring of colour. i wouldnt have a clue if the foot was cut down.
more photo's with white background

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »
Reminds me of mid-19th century Continental (French or German?) glass. What is the metal like? Is it clear 'white' or greyish? Are there any small inclusions or bubbles in the metal? Any tool marks or striations?

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
putting it next to a victorian glass it looks a gray colour. bubbles in the glass mainly on the foot and you can see swirls in the cup where it has been turned. the rim is a bit out of shape

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
I know it's not my area, but I'd also suggest Continental, and second half C19 - both the enamelling and gold rim make that more likely than from the U.K.            I'm not so sure that colour and quality can tell us much specifically.           Am I seeing bands of acid matting??               I also think that sort of narrower and thickish foot is Continental.

Don't agree with comments about clear glass looking better against a white background  -  although the coloured enamelling might.           A uniform dark background - but with care taken with the lighting - should produce the best results. :) 

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
dont think its acid etched it looks more like its scratched into the glass

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
The matte lines are more likely missing gilding; it always leaves a mark. Maybe the surface was pre-marked before application

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand