No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Slice Cut Glasses - Age?  (Read 525 times)

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Slice Cut Glasses - Age?
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Another charity shop buy from today. Bought these as a set of 3 although there are variation in size, cut etc as can be seen from photos. Lots of striations and inclusions on all of them along with pontil marks and signs of wear to the base. I would guess Victorian but as for a more accurate date would have no idea. Each glass shows signs of wear on the stem as though they have been hung on a rack suggesting these were used in a public house or such. Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Slice Cut Glasses - Age?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
This is the largest of the three measuring 11.5cm in height, 5cm across the bowl and 5cm across the foot. This glass also shows the most signs of wear and has a polished pontil.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
Small pontil mark on this one. Measures 11cm tall and 4.5cm across the bowl and 5cm across the foot. Glass is somewhat thinner than the first example.

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
This one is 10.7cm in height, 4.7cm across the bowl and 5.5cm across the base. Again the glass is somewhat thinner than the first example.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
hello Roy  -  I'd suggest these are sherry glasses and in my opinion date c. 1860 - 1890, perhaps a tad later possibly.     I don't remember now whether you have a copy of Silber & Fleming, but if so you will find in that book similar pieces with this sort of cut decoration, which I'd also suggest is more correctly termed cut hollows rather than slice cut.              This rather basic cutting was performed on a medium sized convex edge wheel, and the feature is sometimes called oval punties or, when larger, cut mirrors.     Very common form of decoration and seen on lots of glass from the C19, either on their own or, on early C19 glass used in horizontal bands with alternate bisecting mitres  -  thus producing the famous  OXO  decoration.    Sometimes you find them under feet.
Probably as equally a common a decorative motif as those small four cross-cut stars that are seen on second half Victorian, and later, drinking glasses.
Originally, S. & F. catalogues date to something like the early to mid 1880's.

One feature worth mentioning, and said to be a dating guide for those green/cranberry/blue, same sized drinking glasses (for the blonde wines apparently) - is that.......   glasses made c. 1860 - 1880 are more likely to have a collar under the bowl  -  those without a collar are likely to be a little later.                      I'm sure you know the coloured glasses I'm speaking of  -  the green variety are the most common colour, and you see them often.
Whether this dating guide holds true for items of clear glass I'm not sure, but it's worth considering.                I'd also think that you'll always find a polished pontil depression on the feet of these glasses, very unlikely to find a snapped scar.

If you don't have S. & F., it really is worth buying  -  and unlike my unfortunate and misleading comment the other day regarding Bickerton, S. & F. is affordable  -  there are a couple of U.K. copies on Abe books just now for under £20.                                   

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
Thank you once again Paul, really helpful and informative as usual. I don't have Silber & Fleming, wondering if there is any connection to Silber & Fleming Silversmiths though, and I'm still waiting for the other books to be delivered. I think the misunderstanding was more due to me not thinking that there may be more than one book to search for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand