No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spattered, blue & white, hat-shaped vase with possibly silver chloride ?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I think this is quite ugly  :(   

It does have quite a bit of age to the base though and is heavy. 4 1/4 inches tall and 6 1/2 inches diameter at rim. Any help would be great. Thanks for having a look .
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
No silver chloride there, just blue and white and browny splodges over a resist kind of base.
(By resist, I mean two enamels which are incompatible used together - that's how you end up with that sort of texture in the background.)
I've seen thes colours used in a resist way by Mtarfa and by Anthony Stern. I don't think your piece is Mtarfa, I couldn't say much about Stern - I don't know enough of his work.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Sue, is it the lack of bubbles which indicates that it isn't silver chloride ? I thought this might be from somewhere like Bulgaria !?....perhaps ?  ???
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
No, it's just all the wrong colours.  :)
Silver reacts with clear glass to produce yellows and ochres - the intensity of colour will depend on the concntration of silver present.

Silver nitrate is used to turn red glass brown, but it is still the silver that does the colour thing.

If any silver molecules escape acidentally during the making, they will often deposit on the surface of the piece in what is called "iridesence" (when it comes to Mdina anyway), but it is actually more of a mirror - but blues and yellows may appear because of reactions with glass - it's all stuff that happens in the heat!

It is also silver metal which can produce a sort of electric blue haze in a thick casing.

It doesn't look like normal enamels at all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Sue, I didn't know it was silver molecules that produced the iridesence in Mdina  :D

If it weren't for the age on the base of this I wouldn't have bought it .....it was because it's hat- shaped and has age that I was thinking it might be worth looking into but I haven't found anything about this vase anywhere  :(
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :)
It does all sorts of weird and wonderful things, when hot, with glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
 Yes, it's lovely to see it  :)  ...this brown looks drab and uninspiring    :(
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum