No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with paperweight 1853  (Read 2186 times)

Offline paperweightsgalore1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • south
help with paperweight 1853
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »
Hi

can anyone please help me to identify this unusual old paperweight I picked up in a local auction it says 1853 on front centre?

I have lots of paperweights but this one is unlike any others I have collected any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: help with paperweight 1853
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »

Hi.

This - and another of the ones in yesterday's auction at Fieldings - were made around 1920 by a maker named Dupont, for Baccarat. The date is - to put it politely - 'commemorative'.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
Thank you Alan

so not as old as it is trying to say it is then  :(

are these paperweights part of a series or were there many made to your knowledge?

I was considering looking for some more as I quite like the naivety of the paperweight, but not so sure after your reply now.  :-\

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »

Hi.

There are a quite lot of Dupont paperweights around,  some with various dates, some without - probably more of the latter. Dates vary - I believe it was possible to request specific dates, but I have no hard evidence for that.  There are a good number of Baccarat pansies from the 1920s too - the odd one with a date, but these are quite uncommon.

In general, the Dupont millefiori versions have the canes set fairly low in the paperweight, and have less rounding to the lower part of the dome than classic period Baccarat paperweights, and often have a broad wear rim.  The canes sometimes look as if the colour is 'bleeding' into the surrounding clear glass, and colours are often rather weak. That said, I think there are some Dupont paperweights around which include canes made in the mid 19th century along with later ones, which can confuses the collector a bit!

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

• Members
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
thank you for that Alan, there is a lot to take in there, you are very knowledgeable and certainly know your stuff :)

I do find it hard to differentiate between paperweights of this period as I usually stick to 20th century faceted ones which are easier to research and recognise.

So if I wanted to get a small collection of these together would I look for Dupont or Baccarat, and how much should I expect to have to pay for them? £100ish region?

• Members
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:09 PM »
Hi Alan

What are your thoughts on these 2 the second orange paperweight is dated 1848

• Members
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Hi having just read some of your website information on your website I am guessing the 1848 cane paperweight is from the 1920-1930 and made during that period to deceive?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »
Hi.  Both the paperweights you show above are English.  You are correct to say that the orange one with '1848' canes is made later than 1848, probably in the 1920s - 1930s, by Arculus or Walsh Walsh. I think they made these at the request of wholesalers - so quite who was setting out to deceive whom is an open question.  The paler coloured one is Walsh Walsh, perhaps 1940s.

Regarding values / prices for Dupont - or any other paperweights - we do not usually discuss these on GMB. However, if you would like to send me a private message to my email address (which you can do from here or the link on my website) I will happily give you my personal views.

Alan

• Members
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
Thank you Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia