No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Zoude  (Read 8684 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Zoude
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
My second purchase last Saturday and really pleased with it. The glass is made of a metal containing some lead. It gives a blue lumiescence under UV. The wrythen moulding on the bowl is reminiscent of that on the champagne glasses sold by Scottish Antiques at

http://www.scottishantiquesinc.co.uk/sebastienzoudeglass#.Ux7j_M60PRU

I have three glasses made by Sebastien Zoude of Namur one of which has the same moulded ribbed stem as this. All the glasses have the same type of high conical foot, and knops at each end of the stem.

But what is interesting is that there is a neat, well defined hole at the base of the bowl which leads into the hollow top knop. This hollow knop contains muck - perhaps dregs from wine or ale and dust collected over many years. Why would yoy make a glass with this feature? Perhaps to allow the sediments in wine to settle?

Date? My guess 1760?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Zoude
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
I think the confirmation of your attribution can only be found at the museum in Namur.
http://www.lasan.be/?q=node/24

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »
Ivo

Just had a look at your Blue Sputum website. My son is currently doing some medical work in East Timor. On his first day he saw a case of dengue fever, one of leprosy and three of TB. Since then he's also seen scrofula - an illness not seen in the UK for 50 years.

Stuart

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
 Hi ,
            I too had a good look at this glass and thought Zoude as the most likely candidate , there was also another little wine , i have been to the Museum in Namur many years ago and examples were on display then , even as far back as Barrington Haynes in the 60s these were recognized as Belgian glasses and zoude is known to have started using lead around the middle of the 18th c ,

The hole at the base is to my mind a flaw in production while the stem was being attached to the bowl, this is done by pushing the stem forcefully into the base of the bowl to get a good weld which can result in the nipples and bulges often seen in bowl bases , in this case i think the stem was pushed a little to hard creating a little bubble at the base which has collapsed leaving the knop exposed , the cleaning problem alone would suggest its not deliberate ,date I would think is about right  c 1760s possibly a little later,its never possible to be 100% precise.

cheers ,
           Peter.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
I love this old glass, that's a lovely piece,  i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of every piece of glass i own and collecting Georgian glass, if you were to buy from ebay and the like, are there any dealers you would recommend Pete or anyone else, or do you have your own websites? regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
 Hi ,
          As well as being a collector I am also a dealer and have been for a very long time , it would be best for this to be discussed by you contacting me or anyone else by the email icon under their forum name,

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline Gabriel Tomkins

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
Hi Antwerp1954 - love those Zoude pieces, but that link you posted has expired, d'you have any pics you could put up here ?

There's a couple of other items on that same website, but they're both already sold  :(

http://www.scottishantiquesinc.co.uk/zoude-namur?filter_name=zoude#.VRcECWbyFIg

http://www.scottishantiquesinc.co.uk/sebastien-zoude?filter_name=zoude#.VRcEPGbyFIg

sent them a message, and they were very helpful and informative, but didn't have any other examples available at the moment...

as for the hollow knopp, never seen the like - but was Belgian glass subject to the same sort of taxation as was the case in the UK - maybe it was a feature to reduce the weight and therefore the cost of the piece if it was intended for sale over here ?

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
Hi Gabriel

In the 1750s and the following decades Belgium as a country had yet to exist and was under the control of the Austrians. See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namur,_Belgium.

I now believe the hole into the knop is most likely to be a fault in manufacture or a puncture later on.

I'm attaching photos of my collection of Zoude glasses. They all have features in common. The way the bowl is attached to the stem, the stem/interface and their pronouced conical folded feet. However I think they are unique amongst my collection in fluourescing yellow and blue under the appropriate UV light.

It may take more than one message to post all the photos.

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
Part 2

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Very lovely glasses Antwerp ,thanks for posting them up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand