No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help with Vaseline Stripe mustard pot  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
ID help with Vaseline Stripe mustard pot
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »
:D
Good Morning
I wonder if anyone can ID the maker, age and value of a vaseline opalescent mustard pot that I have.  It looks like it was part of a Caster set at one time.  There are no chips or cracks to the glass except for the normal roughness around the rim.  The cover appears to have been silver plated but the finish is basically gone.  It's structurally sound and screws on and off just fine.  There is just a little "play" in the lid from side to side.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/MarieC123/Stripes%20mustard%20pot/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:15:41 PM »
Marie
the Lid is interchangable with other pots, so please don't get too hung up with that.  you mentioned that there is a little play side to side.  That tells me that it is probably not original to the piece.  If it does not fit exact, it is most likely a replacement.  Even lids that fit could be a replacement.

I looked through several books, and the piece was called RING NECK STRIPE in the Lechner book on salt shakers.  They said it was made by Hobbs, Brockunier & Co.  However, in cross-referencing to the Hobbs book by Bredehofts, they only show a SWIRL STRIPE.  The Ring Necks were the same, however.

It is an American piece, 1885-1890.  There was always a rough finish on the top glass of the rim, due to how they were made.  They were mold blown, then snapped off and rough ground.  

Value?  What you paid for it, or, what it sells for.  Prices change all the time, and you might have found it at the local goodwill store.  The person who buys it from you might have been looking for 10 years to complete a set.  Ya just never know!

Dave
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »
:D
Thanks for the info Dave.  You're right the lid is probably a replacement because the shape of the piece is that of a shaker and the lid is more for a condiment piece.  I should have been more clear on the lid.  The screw on part does not have any play, it's the hinged top that has a little play from side to side.  I appreciate the time you took to look this up for me.
Marie

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »
If the lid screws on tightly, then it MIGHT be original.  I have pieces to a condiment set and the only thing different between the mustard and the shaker is the lid.  both were interchangable.
dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:36:03 AM »
Yes it does screw on tightly so it may be a mustard pot.  That's interesting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand