No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: gadget impression on drinking glass foot  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
gadget impression on drinking glass foot
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
We've spoken often on this issue, and it's seemed nigh on impossible to find a suitable example of the impression, adequate in definition, that will photograph clearly enough to reproduce and not leave any doubt as to it's cause.

If you look in Charles Hajdamach's 'British Glass 1800 - 1914', page 35 plate 17, a gadget can be seen which I'm assuming must have been very similar in design to the one that was used on the drinking glass showing here - possibly a port glass - about 4.25" (110 m/m tall).
Originally I'd looked at the example of a gadget in Wilkinson - 'The Hallmarks of Antique Glass' - page 25...  but his gadget looks to have a collar that lacks the larger cut-out of the Hajdamach gadget.             You can visualize the design of this larger opening example leaving the exact impression showing on this port glass.

So there we are - not very exciting really - but it just struck me as remarkable that it has taken to long to find a suitable drinking glass foot, showing the impression of a gadget, with which to illustrate this point.               In fact this impression is good enough to be seen in the main picture.

This drinking glass lacks finesse - irregular foot, horizontal striations, mostly round the upper half of the bowl, and a Y shaped shears mark under the foot.          Almost certainly a pub/tavern glass from the last quarter of the C19, in my opinion.
I shall now probably see them everywhere ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: gadget impression on drinking glass foot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
Nice one Paul  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
HI ,
       Congratulations,
                        could this be the first image captured of the ghostly Gadget mark, I have never seen one.

cheers ,
                       Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Peter  -  could the reason that you've not seen one be due to the appearance of the gadget long after 'your' period :)
Presumably prior to c. 1860 all bowls and feet would have been shaped, whilst hot, by the pucellas???

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
HI ,
                  Yes long after my main period of interest though still high in interest regarding the method used especially as it has taken a long time to get the massage out there about the Y and T marks being shear marks and not gadget marks so I do when the occasion occurs look ,just for that. and so far as I said I had never seen one.

cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »
I would expect gadgets go back further in time. But very odd to be leaving an impression which should not have happened. My Hajdamach is still in storage at the moment.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »
I'd agree that, since this impression is almost impossible to find ordinarily, then we have to assume that possibly some exceptional reason was responsible for it happening on this occasion -  a defective gadget of some sort perhaps.                     I've seen large numbers of low grade pub glasses from the second half of the C19, those pieces on which you'd expect the mark to make an appearance, yet as I say this is the first time for me.
Although this looks exactly how you'd imagine the mark to appear, is it possible that this isn't the impression from a gadget - might it have been caused by some other means?

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
Why are there not more gadget impressions i wonder ???when you see a gadget and think about the process i can only imagine there polished off.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
Depending upon which literature we look at, a gadget will leave "no mark" (as opposed to a "pontil mark") or "its own pressure mark" (as a result of the spring clip with which the foot is held).

Does that help? :)
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »
Yes,that clears it up nicely Kevin ;) glass with a gadjet mark in theory should be very expensive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand