No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ugly little glass  (Read 554 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Ugly little glass
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
I saw this in a local antiques shop today and was intrigued by it. I don't find it elegant or beautiful but it is interesting.

It has some decent gilding left on it around the rim of the bowl, the bowl itself and the foot. The bowl is ten sided and cut into panels. The bowl has been cut off and so the rim is flat. The foot has no pontil mark but a small bump where the stem has prodruded through the glass used for the foot. The bump has been polished a little to prevent it protruding too far.

Height 11.3cm, bowl dia 4.7cm, foot dia 5.4cm

What do we reckon to it? My guess (to be shot down!) is Silesian/Bohemian or even Ruusian made about 1800-20.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ugly little glass
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
ugly? I love that.  Please can we have a close up of the base and a pic of the gilding pattern close up as well?
thanks.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »
My camera is not quite good enough but here is a close up of the gilding. I took a photo of the foot but, to be frank, it adds nothing.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
I love that beehive type cut (I'm sure it has a proper name).  I'm hope someone will be along to help with where and when
but I'll dig out my books later and see if I can find similar.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/An-Extremely-Rare-Pair-Of-19C-Antique-Islamic-Ottoman-Beykoz-Glass-Bowls-Cups-/221270297253?nma=true&si=l2MBzUYPY0OGjxE48GmpcUBq724%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

These bowls have that similar faceted cut on them where the vertical panels join the diamonds at the bottom.  I don't know about the id though.  I feel I've seen the gilding pattern on them - do you have a glass with that pattern on that was id'd by Peter as Bohemian?

m

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
Hi ff

Thanks for your input. From the way it has been made we think it is European. The gilding is similar to other continental or Russian glasses I have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand