No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Design Victorian Paperweight ID Help please  (Read 1137 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Unusual Design Victorian Paperweight ID Help please
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
Hello All, i recently came across this unusual paperweight i am pretty sure it is 19th century and it came with a a few other good quality piece of glass including a Clichy millefiori. it has an unusual striped base which is reminiscent of some Czech /Venetian or Nailsea glass.  the top bubble is completely clear, its a really unusual design and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Unusual Design Victorian Paperweight ID Help please
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
Hi Steven.

An unusual piece - I have not seen anything like it before. The top view does suggest 19th century to me, but the base view looks more modern: Venetian - in respect of Murano - could be the answer, but I suspect someone else is to blame.  I would not read anything into what it came with though - a couple of weeks ago I bought a group of late 20th century Caithness, Chinese and Langham paperweights, together with a Clichy scramble. And that is by no means the first time I have found similar mixed lots, with the odd decent antique lurking amongst mundane modern pieces.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:46 AM »
Steven, could you please provide a pic of the top of the weight ... straight down.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
Hello thank you for your replies, i do have a little bit of knowledge in glass and would say it is certainly antique although maybe early c20th? as requested here is a photo of the top

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand