No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WMF Ikora vase, white casing  (Read 4001 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
WMF Ikora vase, white casing
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
I am 99% sure this is WMF Ikora glass, but confirmation (if possible) would be great. And opinions when these slightly unusual pieces may have been made.
This shape has been produced from the late 1920s to the early 1950s, but I couldn't find this style in the Ikora book...

My vase stands a little over 12 cm tall, so quite ok for pattern nr. E 102 (pre war) / 8102 (post war) with a height of 13 cm.

I have seen a few of these white cased pieces on ebay in the past, not too many; currently there is one >> here, not the typical decor either.
>> In this auction house are 3 of them (top row: right, second row: right and second from left). The jug is a shape not found in the book either.

Colourways of most of these look like typical post WW2 production (though the white casing makes colours much "louder"); my yellow and green version is something I have not seen before.

Base finish is not different from other Ikora pieces I have seen, the rim is much more delicate, though.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: WMF Ikora vase, white casing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
gosh!  I'm agog to see the outcome of this thread  :)
 I've never seen one before - however I have used that very link with all the vase on , somewhere on here but didn't realise.

Just a query about that link - the vase top left hand with the crenellated rim, is it definitely a WMF or Ikora vase?  I really associate that rim with Empoli glass or Fiorentina for some reason because I had a cased 'hyacinth-vase - shaped' vase with that rim that was Italian.  So I remember wondering whether every vase on that link was definitely WMF.
That one you've linked to, the pontil finish looks a bit odd for WMF doesn't it?  I know they did a wide range of pontil marks, but that one strikes me as a bit odd.
I love your vase - the way the colours are so defined because of the lining.  Very interesting.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
Like m, I'm fascinated too. It's fantastic with the two "undercolours" - it could almost join the category of "triffids" in glass!
You say it is just 12cm tall, but the pattern has been accordingly reduced in size to look just like a massive piece.

Did WMF produce sample miniatures?

I'm only asking, because I know Monart did; and with this being so small, but perfectly formed, and finely blown with the white liner, perhaps it might be something similar?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
Tracing that lot number back to the one with the white inner (lot 1955)
this has it dated c.1925
Zeller sold it in Dec 2007 auction number 95
http://www.zeller.de/de/katalog/auktion-95-dez-07/auktionsartikel/ikora-vase-7/?PHPSESSID=dccda105cae2b207f6cf0393e7c6a399

Lot no1961 the Jug - they date to 1928-1935 - it doesn't actually say the jug has a white interior.  It looks like it might just have a lot of white in it?
http://www.zeller.de/de/katalog/auktion-95-dez-07/auktionsartikel/ikora-krug/

Lot 1958 the baluster vase - does say it has a white interior - dated 1925 in the auction
http://www.zeller.de/de/katalog/auktion-95-dez-07/auktionsartikel/ikora-balustervase-2/

I'm intrigued.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Thank you both for your thoughts, greatly appreciated (as always :) ). And sorry for the delayed reply...
I totally agree that the white lining gives a special look to the decor, almost like porcelain.

@Sue: I don't think I would call the vase is a miniature, as this shape was in the catalogues from the late 1920s until 1951 in exactly this size.

@m: The pontil finish of my vase is quite similar to the one in the ebay link, and not really different from some of my other Ikora pieces.
Regarding the date Zeller gives for the vases: to be honest, when it comes to Ikora glass I don't take the date auction houses or ebay sellers give too serious; they all claim 1920s or 1930s, even if it is a clearly recognizable post WW2 piece.
The book is my number one reference here...

(And I am convinced like you that several pieces in that Zeller link are not Ikora glass at all).

What is IMHO the strongest point that these white cased pieces are post war production are the two green-and-brown vases in the second row of the Zeller link; this is definately a decor and colourway found only in the post war catalogues, and one has the white lining.

I just wonder if these pieces in question were perhaps produced towards the end of the run (or even later ???), trying to brighten and colour up that a little oldfashioned Ikora look, and adapting it to 1950s fashion.

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
 ;)
Probably more likely than my "idea". I do love this piece, though. It could come and live here very happily.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand