No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Bowl ID Help (Please)  (Read 2562 times)

Offline FunkeysFinds

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Orrefors Bowl ID Help (Please)
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »

This is my first post here - somehow in all of years of 'googling,' I never stumbled across this forum before - what a fantastic place!  Glass knowledge is my weakest area - I am looking forward to reading many of the past posts and learning.    Time to try out my new night light.  :D

I am wondering if folks more experienced with Orrefors could offer any information about this bowl?  I believe the signature says Orrefors Lars Hellsen.  After reading different online sites, I thought that Orrefors pieces were numbered.   I then thought perhaps due to the size of this bowl, it could be a 'Gallery' piece, but I believe those are typically signed Gallery.   I have searched extensively and have not found this bowl associated back to Lars.

The bowl measures 9 1/2" wide and weighs 7.12 pounds and has a cubist design, like a somewhat larger version of Fostoria American.

I did ask on other forum that I do frequent and two members both thought the bowl was indeed signed Orrefors Lars Hallsten and suggested I contact Orrefors for more info.

If someone would happen to have anymore information that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Orrefors Bowl ID Help (Please)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:27:26 AM »
I think that the "signature" is added later.  Normally the full signature means a limited edition piece and there is always a pattern/engraving mark as well.  The actual writing itself is not necessarily identifiable. 

Photo 1 below if for a typical signature on a decanter I own.  Note the initial K = Henning Koppel the designer.

Photo 2 for a limited edition vase.  Note the full surname.  This is a very limited edition as C3 = Copy #3 and the Fancy EA = meant an edition of from 2 to 5 items only - which made the C obvious.

Photo 3 is a typical limited edition signature for a Nils Landberg vase.

For the future if you are posting it is smart to post 4 different photos.  The first of the object as one would normally see it.  The second of the profile (side view).  The third of the base of the item.  The final on as clear a shot of the engraving or label as you can get.  Sometimes the later is better taken with a telephoto lens and then cropped as the depth of field is better.  Try to resize your photos as close as you can to 124.99KB ,and also remember the absolute limit horizontally or vertically is 999 pixels.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline FunkeysFinds

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »

Hello Ross,

Thank you for the reply and information.  I have attached a few more pictures of the bowl and some better copies of the first two (I hope).   I recently downloaded a new photo program, but haven't had a chance to play with it - the one I've been using isn't the best.

I thought the signature, weight and unusual design may mean it was a limited edition or gallery piece as well, but as you noted it doesn't have a pattern mark.

Does the bowl have any value at this point?   If I can't attribute it to anyone, I certainly cannot sell it and would likely donate it and perhaps another party will be able to figure it out.  If it can't be linked to anyone, I'd rather not risk my business reputation.

Thank you for your time and again for the the information you have shared, 

Cory

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
I meant to ask - where is the signature?  It should on the base, not low down on a side.

I suspect this is a pressed glass ashtray with lots of glass making it heavy.  I further suspect that it has been improved by someone with the signature.  Look very closely and see if you can find mould marks.  I would suspect three for the sides and one for the base.  Orrefors will be finished so well you wont find any.

If it is Orrefors you will soon have an expert tell you.  Whilst I know a bit, I would not rate myself as expert on Swedish glass, as my focus is one Australian art glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
Ross is correct that Orrefors coding is usually more complex than this, especially their art glass. However, the reason Hellsten moved to Orrefors was to introduce and develop mass production pieces using moulds (he brought a mould maker from Skruf with him to Orrefors), and he extended Palmqvist's work using centrifugal moulds. While his "art" objects (made in limited production) would be signed in the usual Orrefors way, it's likely the mass production pieces weren't. This bowl looks to me like it could be by Hellsten.

However, I don't recognize it and so can't say for sure.  There are a couple of people who pop by the board occasionally (Bill Geary and a very knowledgeable ex-worker from Orrefors). They might be able to provide more info.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
without any doubt it's a fake signature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand