No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens and Williams Alabaster  (Read 7191 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stevens and Williams Alabaster
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
Just as an example, this is a marked Stevens and Williams cameo vase and it appears to have an inner white layer, cased with a thin yellow layer and then the brown on top to create a brown on yellow perceived vase.
The top rim and the base photos show the yellow over white
http://eronjohnsonantiques.com/products/g0659-english-stevens-and-williams-cameo-glass-vase

I've no idea if all the other examples were made like this though or were self coloured base glass.

And this is a marked Mat-su-noke vase in pink with clear flowers. The pontil mark has a strawberry prunt on it.  It looks a bit see through at the pontil mark.  I wonder if this pink was (red/pink?) cased over white to create the pink colour and then in clear or something?
http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/180816/stevens-williams-matsunoke-vase/

I do wonder if it is possible that all previous work was cased somehow to create the colours but that the 'alabaster' range was the first range to use colour mixed in the batch?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH201/
So the one on this link would be an example of self-coloured glass?  where the base is red gathered from a red batch?

If so, and his comment is meant in reference only to the introduction of the 'alabaster' range, then he is quite specific about the 'alabaster' range being introduced as early as 1916.

Therefore if (and I have no corroboration for this assertion), the S& W fleur de lis England mark that he shows was on a green and white alabaster vase then it might be that the date as 'late Victorian' was incorrect.  Or my query is completely incorrect and it would mean that Stevens and Williams produced a 'slender green alabaster vase with a white alabaster foot' in the late Victorian period, but I guess it didn't fall into the 'alabaster' range he asserts was introduced as early as 1916.
 R.S. Williams Thomas does refer to the '1914 alabaster period' .

m

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Dear All,

found this rather large Rose Bowl 6.75" Diameter 7.5" high.

It's foot is different than other pieces I have. Is this familiar to others?

Kind Regards

Andrew

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
Looks good to me, here's one of mine.. ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
Can you please post a side on photograph showing the profile of the pot?  Thanks.
I have some very curious pieces of S&W alabaster.  I wonder if some of them were produced at much different time periods to others i.e. for examples those produced c.1916 v 1930s hence the marked differences in making/shapes.

m

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »
Dear Keith and FF,

thanks.

Here's a side profile picture.  :)

Kind Regards

Andrew

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
I think that foot is quite 'thirties' ?  As I said, I do wonder if shapes changed a little to reflect changing eras.
Rose (and green Jade? open to correction here as have no time to check book) were still being produced into the thirties iirc.
Love the little pot - really shows off the gorgeous intense red-pink colour. One of my boxes has an interior that is superbly coloured like that.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand