No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Jelly Moulds - British Made - Who, What, Where, When?  (Read 16259 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass Jelly Moulds - British Made - Who, What, Where, When?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
sorry - too much rushing this afternoon and hadn't seen Ivo's comments - thanks.

Sounds more like a pub........ ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
this one shows the word LIPTON inset between the six bobbles on the base - the word also occurs, evenly spaced, four times around the underside of the bottom ledge.

Not one I've seen before, and judging by the wear this could possibly be an example from between the wars  -  something like 5.5" (140 mm) long - although a very traditional shape.

Haven't a clue who might have made this  -  although seems obviously to have been sold by the British Lipton grocery chain that stared in the second half of the C19  -  it seems their famous tea of the same name was still going up until very recent times  -  and might still be, but don't recall seeing any shops for a long time.       A form of advertising.

As a teenager I worked in one of their shops as my Saturday job for pocket money, and for that one day's work I was paid nineteen shilling and sixpence - a tad under one pound :o :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
The Lipton tea brand is still going strong, though owned by Unilever, here and in Europe and the USA

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
This one is definitely British, as it says British Make

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
Thanks, that's one of the two that could be by Chance (see Chance Additions, p.39). My only concern is the mark: MADE (not MAKE) appears to be preferred by Chance.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
sorry to dig this one up again  ..............     unexciting I know, but another jelly/blancmange related directly to the Wm. A. Bailey Registration No. 547034 posted by Fred, in reply No. 8, back on 21st May 2014.     I doubt that this particular mould was pressed as far back as 1909, and unlike Fred's more shallow and oval shape, this one is taller and circular.
Fred's example carried the factory pattern No. 7317, and this one appears to be 7323 - probably just two out of a substantial series of pattern Nos., which may have covered the company's entire range of kitchenalia items - and since this one is a slightly later No. then perhaps a design made subsequent to 7317.               Will and try to find the original drawing for this Reg. when next at Kew.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
I prefer blancmange but was hoping this was by Chance Bros  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
good piece Keith but regret I've no idea whether you're right or not  -  the only thing I can say is that I believe those words are typical of 1940s - 1950s manufacturing style.
If a particular design is documented somewhere or, of course, if the item carries a Reg. No., then we can pin it down quite easily  -  otherwise probably a nonstarter as to origin.

I've not had blancmange for eons - my mother used to make the pink stuff, which presumably not all bad for you since it contained a fair amount of milk  .............    so looking for someone to make some for both Keith and myself, please.     Offers on a postcard to .......    ;) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »
rather obvious I suppose - the fact that the original drawing at Kew looks exactly as you'd expect it to look     ......  but just for the sake of completeness ..........................

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
Paul, thank you for showing the drawing for RD 547034.

I will add it the GMB RD database in due course.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand