No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Gray-Stan? or could it be Stevens and Williams?  (Read 895 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Is this Gray-Stan? or could it be Stevens and Williams?
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
I'm very curious about a squat 'Gray-Stan compressed vase' that sold at Woolley and Wallis a few weeks ago in a joint lot with a Gray-Stan candle holder.
The description is not very clear about which of the two pieces is signed, because of the way it's written but clearly states both are Gray-Stan.
Can anyone confirm whether the green 'compressed vase' is a Gray Stan piece please?
I have a piece similar in shape that I believe is the bottom of a lidded box or powder bowl.  Mine has a decor that I thought was another maker but there are slight differences with the way the colour is laid on compared to that maker so I'd decided it might not be.  It's so similar in shape to this green piece that I'm now wondering if mine and this green one are the same maker. 
This green compressed vase at W&W reminds me of a green that I think Paul had that iirc was id'd as Stevens and Williams.  So I'm confused and would appreciate some help please.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/woolley-and-wallis/catalogue-id-2892706/lot-21141213
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Is this Gray-Stan? or could it be Stevens and Williams?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
The description reads "acid etched marks", plural, so presumably both were marked.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
yes you are right.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
Then there is the thorny problem of auctioneers descriptions which are so often badly written, fanciful or just plain inaccurate...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Yes - 'marks' could mean both are marked, but  I'm still a little suspect that 'marks' could mean Gray-Stan England, i.e. two marks on one piece (the candlestick)
and therefore the bowl could be unmarked.
But having done a pic comparison, my bowl isn't quite the same as the green one, so the discussion might be moot anyway.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
If you read the description, you will find that the little green pot is 29 cm tall, according to them...

The description needs clarified. Their english is lousy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
Yes, I think missing a comma or full stop and clarification that the size (29cm) and mark (Gray-Stan) belongs to the candle holder.

I'd love to know who made the pot even though mine is not quite the same shape.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand