No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: picture library for T/Webb colours.  (Read 63398 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
picture library for T/Webb colours.
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
In view of the lack of available book information on this subject, thought it would be useful to show colours used by this factory, with the aim that members might add others not included in this initial effort.          Again, in view of the poor book coverage of the factory, it would be useful to provide images of the many shapes associated with these colours  -  but the colours might come first, followed by the two tone pieces perhaps.

I've shown the recognized colour name where known - invented others, which obviously can be changed if someone can provide the right one - and in the interests of simplicity have steered clear for the time being of including the pattern name i.e. Venetian Ripple, horizontal wave etc.
As to be expected, certain colours predominate and from my own experience sunshine amber is perhaps at or near the top of the list,followed by one of the ambers, and for others this may well depend on where people live.

I may have misunderstood the books, but I'd assumed it was only sunshine amber in the Gay Glass range that fluoresced, but assuming I have my greens correct, then evergreen also glows.
For some reason I appear not to have seen the Gay Glass spring (eau-de-nil), nor the green from the Bristol Blue range produced during the 1970's or the ruby used in the Flair pieces.           
Just for the sake of mentioning it, the Gay Glass range did include clear pieces - whether for all of the patterns or only some I'm note sure - and other patterns were made in clear, but how extensively I've no idea. 
Pieces shown are either backstamped or known patterns from this factory.

Feel free to comment in whatever way, and hope people will add those missing colours I've mentioned. :)

P.S.   to be continued ........

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: picture library for T/Webb colours.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
some more............

there is a decided difference - in the flesh - between the two ambers shown here.

Whether there really is a difference between sunshine amber and the other large similar coloured vase, I'm not sure.    The vase is thicker and in the flesh appears decidedly darker than the smaller pieces - but at the end of the day they may all be classified as Gay Glass sunshine amber.         They all fluoresce very well, although the rims of the small pieces show green in ordinary daylight (even in the picture I think) whereas the vase does not show this effect.  So, people's opinions please.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
and finally the greens.......

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »
just one more...  this is what I've called 'new amethyst', from the Bristol Blue Range in the 1970's  -  it's noticeably different from the earlier more common colour of the same name.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
Well done!

There is also an amethyst in the later range (beat me to it), and regarding the Flair range: Ruby (I have a bowl in this colour), Green, Amber, Teal, Blue.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:30:56 PM »
thanks David  -  hopefully we shall have all of the colours quite soon :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
meant to add............    am sure Christine will have a piece of Gay Glass spring :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »
thanks for adding all of those, and having now seen your Spring it occurs to me it appears to be the same as my piece which I've called light green - so perhaps the caption on my pic should be changed.
Look forward to seeing a piece of green from the 'Bristol Blue' range, from someone.

Perhaps we'll give it a day or so, and we might then start to add the two tone examples. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand