No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: picture library for T/Webb colours.  (Read 62868 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: picture library for T/Webb colours.
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
Couple more whoppers,11.75 high and the bowl 12,25 across, ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
Hi Keith  -  I just didn't realize the size of some of this factory's pieces  -  yesterday I saw some very tall vases patterned with those oval shaped slightly indented lenses.   I'm beginning to think their range was almost limitless :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
Lots I think, few more here... ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
I've not seen this plate elsewhere - in fact I don't know if the factory did plates as a general rule - but it's attractive - I did post it some two or three years back.
The design - created entirely on the underside - has been cut to clear, but not entirely sure how the 'hammered' effect was produced  -  it might have been the result of a mould process, but not sure.    The surface texture of each hammered blob is very grainy/gritty, but quite bright and shiny.          There isn't any sign of a a pontil scar or depression.

Diameter is about 7.75" (200 mm), and the factory backstamp is what the books describe as c. 1935 - 49, the small fully circular one.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
Very nice, can't see I've seen a Webb plate before, just about everything else though, ::) ;D ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
No plates in the 77 catalogue I digitised. Cannot access the earlier catalogues (30s and 1957) right now but they do state tableware as one of their products so plates should be there! Glanced at all the Webb material I have digitised but no plates. Did notice Duroven (Their Pyrex version) in 1949, quite distinctive designs in opaque 'Snow White'.

Unmarked cameo plate here http://www.1stdibs.com/creators/thomas-webb-and-sons/furniture/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
I wasn't seeing mine as  'tableware' in the usual sense of the word - I'd always thought it looked too decorative to be that, but fashions and tastes change so who knows  -  makes me think of a Celtic cross.
In fact thinking back now, don't believe it was me that showed the plate originally  -  it was posted by a woman from one of the charity shops, who had been given three, I think, and she was asking for some information so that they could be sold with at least an approximate date and some details about the maker.

So I emailed and asked if I might buy one, to which she agreed  -  think now I should have bought all that she had  -  from the comments so far plates may well be less common than we thought. 

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »
Noticed the comment about how big some Webb items are.  I have this "magnum" decanter which I assume would cope with two full bottles.  It is huge.  The stopper is bigger and heavier than most perfumes.  The engraving is of what I assume to be J-class yachts.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
Hi,
 This may be of interest..............  mention of colours. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,57285.msg324576.html#msg324576

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
An interesting bowl in blue/clear with controlled bubbles.

eBay
New message from: earthfind (568Purple Star)
Hi Ross, that's fine by me. If it contributes to a glass data base / resource, that can be only good for glass collectors. Take care and thanks for your interest.
Regards Chris.
YOU:

I belong to a great resource called the Glass Message Board - if you don't know it it's free and very worthwhile for a glass lover to join - simply Google it.

One of the projects is to collect examples of coloured Webb Crystal. There are none like your and I would like permission(which is required by GMB rules) to publish your photos onto the Board.

Thanks in anticipation, Ross.

PS. I have lots of Webb myself but your piece is too large for what I want to collect. Sorry.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand