No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Set of 12 iridescent wine glasses - ID please  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Leslie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Anything
    • United States
Re: Set of 12 iridescent wine glasses - ID please
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
I hope you do continue to post. Every thought and opinion matters. It's good to hear it all. Whenever I ask for an opinion I know that there are many out there and I am ready to hear them all. That's how we learn. Thank you for your contribution. (Sometimes even a non-answer is an answer) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
I thought when I stated "Neil I do not wish to be negative" & "Not positive I know" that it would not be taken that way, but evidently at least one person took it that way. When I started composing my post no one had responded in 28 views so I figured I would at least provide a  response based on experience. Then just before I submitted I saw Paul had posted so I edited my post. Lesson learned...I won't post anymore when all I have to offer is possibilities & advice...only when I know a solid attribution as evidently it offends sensitive individuals.

Please continue to post. You have given invaluable advice, steered dozens of discussions in the right direction and in general have been a most positive  contributor tothis board. We cannot have you self-censored.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
Don't Ohio - I depend on you for USA glass help!

Offline Leslie

• Members
    • Antique Anything
    • United States
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »
Following is a a link I have found. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge to confirm or dispute, in particular the last paragraph of this.  Also wondering about the air bubbles on these glasses. Are air bubbles present in mass manufactured glass as well as hand blown? Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

About.comAntiques
What is a Pontil Mark on Blown Glass?

A pontil mark is the spot on the bottom of a piece of blown glass where the rod used in manufacture was broken off after the piece was completed. Some pieces of blown glass will have a very rough pontil, others will have a rather lumpy pontil that has been partially finished by reheating the glass and smoothing it.

Finely crafted blown glass, like that made by fine art glass and elegant glass manufacturers widely collected today, will have almost always have a polished pontil. This means the pontil has been polished completely smooth leaving a round or oval indention in its place on the bottom of the piece. A polished pontil is a sign meticulous detail in the manufacture of quality blown glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »
That information is fine, except that the term pontil should be pontil mark. The pontil is the iron rod the glass was attached to for finishing. Hand blown does not mean something is not mass manufactured. Glass blowers were/are on piece work and had very high production rates. If your glasses are not identical, then they are hand blown rather than machine made. There is of course varying degrees of quality across all glass manufacture, but air bubbles and irregularity are less likely in machine made glass.

I cannot see from the pictures whether your glasses have a polished pontil mark or even any pontil mark at all but the "rough rim" would indicate they were finished from the top rather than the bottom. Some good quality glasses don't have a pontil mark at all; some do.

Offline Leslie

• Members
    • Antique Anything
    • United States
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
Thank you for the response. Everything typed here has been helpful and much appreciated. I am going to include another photo of the bottom of the glass. I am now passing the glasses on to someone who will be able to display them. They need a better home than the cardboard box I have had them in for many years. I do appreciate all information you have all shared! I know the new owner is also interested in learning more about these glasses but also we realize there just may not be any more information available on them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand