No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Set of 12 iridescent wine glasses - ID please  (Read 2016 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Set of 12 iridescent wine glasses - ID please
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
Hi,

I am putting these glasses up on behalf of an American subscriber.  I haven't seen the glasses and am relying on her pictures and description (see below).  They are not my period so I can't help her and hope that somebody else on the board, maybe in America, can help.

Her description:

"I have a set of 12 hand blown stemware wine glasses that were brought to the United States by an Irish high society woman who married an American soldier. These glasses have no seams, a mark on the bottom where they were blown, no two in the set are exactly alike and they do not stand perfectly straight. They are iridescent when light hits them. The woman who left these to me had many valuable items but never spoke of their value. Only on these glasses did she make the comment that they are "hand blown, very old and valuable". I live in a remote area and have not been able to find anyone with knowledge on these. After hours and days, weeks of researching I have only come to learn that they are very old but I dont know the specific time frame or where they could best be displayed."

Thanks in anticipation.

Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Set of 12 iridescent wine glasses - ID please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
regret I'm not seeing the mark on the foot indicating 'where they were blown'  -  I don't see signs of a usual pontil type mark.

If they were 'brought to the States', then I don't follow your line of reasoning Neil that someone maybe in America might help - they might have been made anywhere.         My gut reaction might be to suggest that in view of their surface decoration, then date wise they might possibly be from the art nouveau period say 1885  -  1915  -  but that's assuming they are oldish  -  and that's only my opinion - sorry it's not really of any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
Neil I do not wish to be negative & since they are evidently not of  U.S. manufacture as per the story, I cannot attribute them, however I will somewhat echo Paul's observations & add that U.S. manufacturers such as Brice, Dunbar & Standard did spray the carnival finish glasses such as the lady has & this was done in the early to mid 1920s over here. If its the same situation in europe as is over here...well value is fairly non-existent, no popularity or collector value...they are considered garage sale items & since they reside in the U.S. she should prepare herself to face that conclusion regardless of whether european or U.S. manufacture. Not positive I know, but sometimes its better to know what is realistic in the marketplace so I would advise her to simply use them & enjoy them. 

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the input.  I just gave you her description;  I haven't seen the glasses.   I can't see a pontil mark either; they look manufactured to me.  I just wondered whether they might be favrile if from the USA, or if from Europe, Loetz because of the iridescence.  If they were meant to be expensive, and I can't see why myself, then I was wondering if they were from a well-known, highly regarded manufacturer.  I'll give the lady the URL for this posting and she can contribute directly.

Thanks again
Neil

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
I think one or two have been a touch harsh on Neil who is only trying to help someone.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
If it was taken that way then nothing intended Neil, I can assure you  -  although regret I did forget to add a smiley at the end :).      I hope that you and I have a GMB relationship that means we wouldn't take the least offence at what we say to each other ;D

They do look to be of fairly modern - C20 - manufacture.     We get many instances of glass posted on the GMB by folk who quote their benefactors as having made similar comments about age and provenance.     Most of the time these pieces do not show features that might be attributed to an antique form of manufacture.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
Absolutely no offence taken.  A Stuart said, I'm just trying to help somebody out and perhaps should have qualified her comments with my own views but I know there are people of the board who are far better qualified to comment on these glasses than I am; hence my just repeating her comments.

Offline Leslie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Anything
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
Hello. I am Leslie, those are my glasses photographed above. I am sorry if this post has been a waste of time. I have very little knowledge on glass and was just hoping to find the general time and location where these were made. The woman who gave them to me also gave me green stemware that I know came from Germany, some bone handle Sheffield silverware, some cognac crystal and some jewelry (some have the word "England" on it). The only items that really intrigued me were these glasses. I only know that Colleen had a lot of nice items but these were the only ones she spoke of as old and valuable. She did say they were hand blown and because I know very little about these I just assumed they were. And "old" can be a relative term. I was not so much looking for a dollar value or anything, just their history, if it could be traced anywhere. There are a lot of little bubbles in the glass and the rim is pretty rough. The way they don't stand perfectly straight and the fact that no two are exactly alike caught my attention. Thank you for your thoughts, opinions and knowledge! And I will remember my smiley face. :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
Welcome to the board, no posts are a waste of time. Maybe someone will come along who can help. The rough rims (I assume you mean they have been ground) points to a Continental European maker I think
A look at Google images reveals Avitra glasses made in Romania with full iridescence and also similar glasses with an SIP label

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
I thought when I stated "Neil I do not wish to be negative" & "Not positive I know" that it would not be taken that way, but evidently at least one person took it that way. When I started composing my post no one had responded in 28 views so I figured I would at least provide a  response based on experience. Then just before I submitted I saw Paul had posted so I edited my post. Lesson learned...I won't post anymore when all I have to offer is possibilities & advice...only when I know a solid attribution as evidently it offends sensitive individuals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand