No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall Skrdlovice/Beranek-style vase  (Read 2929 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Tall Skrdlovice/Beranek-style vase
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
This one is puzzling me...

Stands a little over 27 cm tall, base is flat and polished, with bevelled edge and a smooth curve to the sides like in my other Skrdlovice/Beranek pieces from that period.

It looks quite similar to the Jan Beranek pattern 8044/28 (apart from the blue and yellow swirls at the top, and the airbubbles in the base).
I had a good search through Skrdlovice and Beranek catalogues and website, but nothing.
So I looked at more contemporary makers producing glass in this style like AGS Svoboda, Princ, Glass Atelier Beranek Jiri, to no avail.

I am convinced it has to be Czech, though.

BTW, this is already the second one of these I have seen...

Any help highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Tall Skrdlovice/Beranek-style vase
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »
Hi Michael,
I agree it should be Czech and derived from the Jan Beranek vase ultimately. I doubt that the Princ site is comprehensive, they seem a bit disorganised, with their own attributions as much as anything else.... If you have seen two, a labelled one should show up sooner or later. I do not necessarily think it is Skrdlovice though Wasserbauer did do a vase design a bit like this but I do not think it is him. Is there a chance it is Jablonski and not Czech? if you saw both in Austria I might worry about Jindrich Beranek too but I know you are pretty familiar with his work and would likely "know" whether it was by chance him. Princ or Jablonski would be my pure guesses, as you have seen two, I am thinking fairly contemporary at least... It will be interesting, it should get an attribution!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
Thank you, Robert!
I would agree that it is a (rather) contemporary piece.
Not Jindrich Beranek I believe, no polished pontil mark, no signature.
I don't know much about Adam Jablonski, but the most part of the works by him I have seen so far seem to be signed.
Princ vases seem to have a cut top usually, but I certainly don't know what they may have produced apart from the items shown at their website.

The finish of my vase is really identical to any of my Skrdlovice/Beranek thick cylindrical pieces.
I guess I will have to wait until a labeled one appears 8)

BTW, Robert -- do you have an idea regarding my other recent purchase, >> this azure Pulegoso vase?

Thanks!
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
Hi Michael, I am pretty sure it is Jablonski not all of it is signed,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
Thanks, Robert!
The interior decor of my vase would fit with pieces by Adam Jablonski I found online, so you could well be right...
Interesting that all of his pieces I was able to find seem to have organic shapes, not one cylindrical/straight sided like my vase.
Overall strong Czech influence in his designs ;D

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:34:11 AM »
Interesting.

I just wanted to add that I have never seen a cylindrical vase by Jabloński (or later, PASK), though I do agree that it may indeed be Polish. It would be good to find a labeled one though.

Anik

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
Thank you Anik!
As I am not familiar with Jablonski's work, it is hard to judge if it might be by them.
And probably even more difficult to find out if it is from another Polish glass maker. Maybe time will tell...

Wherever it is from, it displays really nicely with my (similarish) Skrdlovice pieces ;)

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Here is a similarish (labeled) vase by Hut Princ, Czech Republic: >> Link

So they actually produced pieces in this style...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand