No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: moser blue opal?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
moser blue opal?
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
Hi all,i'm fairly sure having scouted about that this must be Moser,12.5 cm high and sadly a chip on the rim,anyone know much about this style ,many thanks.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: moser blue opal?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »
We have discussed these types of wares (heavy and raised gilding over pale blue) some time ago.

The Moser attribution has been queried by some folk but others back up their claims with reference to examples shown (but not currently, as the web page is down) in the Great Glass site.

I contacted Ann & Philip of Great Glass and asked about this. Please see my post in (and the whole of) an earlier thread for further, but not really conclusive,  info: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,44806.msg250256.html#msg250256
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
Thanks for that kevin,really interesting thread,going on ivo's comment and others i wonder if it's ok to say not French and probably bohemian ?i think the only thing i can add is that when flicked it has the very high pitched "ting"type sound and the wear on the foot must place it late 19c.The other thing i wanted to ask do people recommend giving this type of glass a clean up,the patina is quite nice.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
I wouldn't touch enamel or gilding at all. It wears off and damages very quickly and any oils in your skin affect it I believe.
Most pieces have a lot of wear anyway and the less you touch and hold them the better.  Certainly I've never cleaned any of my pieces.  If the interior needs cleaning or small patches of the plain glass undecorated, I do it with a light damp microfibre cloth just using the corner and only touching the plain glass.
I do think honestly that enamelled and gilded glass should be held using thin cotton gloves really.

m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
Thanks m,thats great avice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum