No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: latest Monart purchase  (Read 3948 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: latest Monart purchase
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
 ;D
That is why I did suspect Monart. It's those images that are stuck in my head. I had just "filed it" wrongly in my brain. (My brain is a bit unreliable because of health problems.)
But I do admit when I'm wrong, and try to put it right and learn from it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
My brain is very unreliable too!! Anyway, you were so good yesterday with AA's vase I'll let you off  ;D

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
knowing nothing of these things, but being desperate to use my new Christie's catalogues covering the Parkington Sales, I've just compared the shapes mentioned here against those shown in the catalogues.
Although Michael Parkington appears to have had a lot of Monart, he seems not to have had shape PD, at least I can't see it in the catalogues, so would seem to be rare as Gary says.
Unfortunately, not all of the Monart pieces in the Chrisitie's sale catalogues were provided with a shape code.

On the other hand Roberta's HF shape seems to be less scarce, although if the Parkington papers are anything to go by then uniform mottled colours like her piece are not so common  -  whorls and aventurine decoration look to my inexperienced eye to be more the order of the day - at least for the HF shape.    But it's a nice bright piece, and I'd love to find it.
Must admit I never see Monart pieces, perhaps I'm just not looking for them  -  but then again I daren't start another area of collecting - some of these things do look to have large footprints, and I'm in trouble with space as it is ;D

Anyway, both are great pieces, but if pushed I'd have to choose Roberta's simply for the more attractive colour ;)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
Sue its only my opinion that the vase at L&Ts is not monart, but I could be totally wrong, just doesn't look right to me in any way , shape, colourway etc, pic of the base would be good to see, Paul best place to source ysart glass shapes and colourways is on Ysart Glass site, though not up to date now as I have a few that need to be added as does a few other collectors ,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
thanks Gary - the Monart pieces in the Parkington catalogues were a bonus - I wasn't aware there would be so many included  -  my reasons for getting the catalogues was really for the other pieces/factories that he collected. :)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
Oh, Thanks for that,  ;D I agree that most pieces seem to have the whorls or different colour at the top - I haven't seen one as "Plain" as mine (not that its plain but you know what I mean).
I spotted mine at an auction - and bought it unseen hoping it was Monart, having only collected Vasart - more affordable!

It would be an interesting exercise to put shape codes to the un-coded ones in the Christies catalogue!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Lot no9 matches the colourway and pattern on the vases on the Ysart site. That is where I have seen this colourway before, and knew it was on the site.
I had just filed it as "Monart", rather than as "non-Monart" in my head.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Nice vase and rare shape you have there Gary.

On the topic of the L&T piece I am of the opinion it is not Monart.
I have seen a few piece in that colourway (which is similar to the Monart colour code 364) and none of them were standard Monart catalogue shapes.

A small point Paul, it would be best not to judge what Monart shapes or colourways are rare or common on one persons collection (though one of the best Monart collections).
Monart did over 300 catalogued shapes and over 500 different colourways.
Gary

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »
Gary has special agents on"the dark side" who help him find Monart, Roberta. That is the only explanation for his incredible good luck and fortune in tracking it down.

Of course, living in the UK might help as well ;-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
good advice Gary - and probably the sort of suggestion I'd make.
Aside from the obvious mega-difference in available funds, it seems that Michael Parkington and I share/shared similar eclectic tastes.            Quite amazing the breadth of his collecting interest, and his donations to Broadfield House were a wonderful act of generosity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand