No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British? Victorian Threaded vase  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: British? Victorian Threaded vase
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
According to Keith Vincent's book ('Nailsea Glass'), there certainly were pieces of genuine Nailsea glass  - generally of some uniform shade of bottle green or darker with paler chips marvered in) that were decorated with a limited amount of hand applied threading - but unlike those shown here.
However, these were made prior to Hodgetts' invention in 1876 whereby mechanical means were used.

Apparently other houses came up with their own inventions of machines for threading within a very short time, so I'd have thought attribution nigh on impossible.

We've had lots of chats on Nailsea over the years, on the Board - well worth reading  -  they didn't, it seems, make any genuinely coloured glass, despite there being a mountain of suggestions in the literature that they did.
A big hiccup in the acceptance of provenance of a certain historic collection has given rise to what seems a permanent idea that those pieces with coloured festoons and swags were from Nailsea  -  more likely from Stourbridge or Bristol.        This mis-attribution of Nailsea ware seems to be one of the most oft repeated errors in the books.

I don't know if Hodgetts emigrated to the States though :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
those pieces with coloured festoons and swags were from Nailsea  -  more likely from Stourbridge or Bristol
or even Scotland. David (Langhaugh) has a piece of known provenance

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
thanks for the correction Christine. :)

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
Thanks boBA, Paul & Lustresstone. Fantastic info. I thought nailsea was another the name for the 'pulled feather' design, i didn't realise, like Stourbridge, its place!
I must read up on some posts.
Thank you :)
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
I found this and just had to say I've never seen anything like it. I guess its a pulled feather design with clear glass threading, but I'm not sure, its hard to tell. I think its amazing, very clever.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181322765347?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 12:52:55 AM »
Thank capitalartglass,
Italian! I never even considered that, lol.
I found one similar, but with a fatter body, described as by Lutz.
I also read, somewhere, that threaded glass was made a lot in England after the invention of a threading machine.

Not Italian or Loetz (!); almost certainly English, but I doubt you'll find a manufacturer

I've been reading about Lutz and wanted to add a note here to clarify that Lutz is not the same as Loetz / Lötz, as Christine's reply could be read as a correction to Senhandfran's. The former was a French-born glassmaker Nicholas Lutz (1835-1906), the latter was Loetz / Lötz -  a Bohemian glassmaking company, http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bohemian_glass/loetzglass_home.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand