No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: marigold hearts and flowers  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
marigold hearts and flowers
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »
Despite a serious effort this little flower vase (or is a hatpinnery?) with funny ears could not be found. And now I'm looking sheepishly at Glen :oops:  :mrgreen:  :oops:  :roll:  :lol:  :idea:  :shock:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2043

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Oh, 'tis the Mary Ann vase. It was made by Dugan and is known in Classic Carnival in both amethyst and marigold.

I reported in our Network journal back in 2000 that black amethyst reproductions had been seen in this pattern - then a few months later the first marigold versions started to emerge too. We bought ourselves a "fake" and set about figuring out how to differentiate between the repros and the originals.

I'll cut a long story short and tell you that I figured out the easiest way to check (that still seems to work) is to look at the base. If it has iridescence over it, then it's a repro. If there is none - then it's an old one.

The marigold repro also tends to be more of a yellowish amber mix than an old true marigold. Looking at your photo, I would say yours is an old, Classic one.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:11:27 PM »
Amazing what a turnaround speed, thanks 1,000,000 !
Old it is, there is no iridescence on the bottom and as Canrival is still not valued here it is most unlikely that fakes or replicas would make it this far.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
I saw three pieces of carnival the other day which i think were fakes.

1) The iridescence seemed to be painted on, you could actually see the brushstrokes.  :lol:

2) The base was irridescent and it was impossible to see the base colour.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 07:20:23 PM »
It's hard to say - without a photo - what they might have been. Most fakes / repros have been iridised immediately after being pressed (while very hot), and so the iridescence wouldn't be painted on.

The feature of iridescence on the base is a characteristic of some contemporary Carnival (not all) but it is a feature that is also present on some old European Carnival. It's due to the method of manufacture. In the case of old Classic USA Carnival it was "snapped up" after pressing, and was then sprayed with the iridescence while the base of the glass was covered by the tool known as the "snap".

What I'm saying is that iridescence on the base needs to be considered in the context of other features.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand