No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latest Monart purchase - today  (Read 4799 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Latest Monart purchase - today
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
ooooh that's lovely! :D everything is good, shape, decor, colours - really beautiful.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
What you need is a bit of sunshine - that's got some uv in it. You're looking for a limey green opaque glow.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »
Early evening sunshine is best

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »
Hi,
I think that the green enamel used has got the Uranium in it, it really is the strangest thing. I don't think the coppery bits at the top are aventurine either,  it look more like a reddy orange enamel with lots of tiny bubbles that make it look metallic. Today it looks like "Peacock feathers" colours.

Must try to get a UV torch,

Roberta
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
stunning piece and one of my favourite shapes, damaged or not a real beauty , well done you,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
The "aventurine" in the Perth cylinder vase (and the chalice), isn't copper or gold coloured, it's the colour of bronze, and all clustered around the bubbles, so it must have been particulate within the molten glass.

(I saw a fascinating science programme about bubbles in liquids not too long ago; and how particulate matter will adhere to the surfaces of bubbles in liquids, and while the programme was more about using this phenomenon along with ultrasonics, to deliver drugs directly to the point of interest, but it was very relevant to the formation of bubbles in glass, and how we end up with enamel haloes around  them.   ;) )

I've not a clue what it might be. It's not copper, or gold, or mica flakes from Woollies. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean, it is clustered around the bubbles to amazing effect - any techies out there to tell us how it's done?
It reminds me (but in a much more spectacular way) of the Nazeing bubble halos.

By the way, ordered a UV torch today - will post some more pics when it arrives  :)
Roberta

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
does it have silver chloride in it?  it  remind me of some of the WMF Ikora pieces.
m

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:05:57 PM »
Hi,
I don't think it has silver chloride - it doesn't have the iridescence or the look of my Mdina bits with it in. I think it's just a combination of all the bubbles with the enamel halos around them and the possible uranium glow that gives the effect. But it changes colour with the light like nothing else I've seen - It's like the Alien Vase  ;)
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
It's all to do with surface interactions and attractions of different valencies...
A little bit like how detergents work.

Surfaces and how they actually operate at the molecular level are a relatively new (and fascinating) field in science.

Yup, these things change the whole time.

That's why it's so horrible having to see them stuck all static, in fixed lighting, through bullet- sue-, garym- and gary-proof glass...

You don't really get to see them at all. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand